• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Burgeoning Local Craft Beer Scene now Out-Employs Traditional Breweries

chromedome

This relates more to the business side of brewing than the tasting side, but here in New Brunswick (where out-migration to other provinces is often driven by lack of jobs) a recent survey by the CBC showed that the province's craft brewers account for more jobs than mainstream brewers like Moosehead and Molson-Coors.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/craft-alcohol-producers-now-employ-nb-workforce-twice-the-size-of-traditional-brewers-1.5353978

When I moved here in 2007, the only local craft brewers (AFAIK) were Pump House in Moncton and Picaroon's in Fredericton. Now there are 70+, with more emerging all the time. Incredibly, Nova Scotia has a still-higher number of craft brewers per capita despite its larger population.

It's just not possible to keep up without making it a full-time job (and having another, lucrative full-time job to pay for all the beer) but I try to make sure I taste something new a couple of times each month. My current favorite is an IPA-style rye beer from Trailways, one of the brewers featured in the article. It's called Rype, because it's a "ryePA." It's on the fruity end of the IPA spectrum, but with interestingly spicy undertones from the rye.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning