• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Christmas flavoured ganaches

SchiehallionHandmade

Its time to ramp up production for Christmas and get those festive flavours out there.

Whats your favourite christmas flavour recipes to put in your ganaches? How do you get christmas pudding flavoured ganache?

Last experiment I did was haggis flavoured ganache, made by using the spices of haggis (nutmeg, mace, black pepper, ground coriander with roasted pinhead oatmeal)!

On 11/11/2019 at 10:30 PM, RobertM said:

Haggis flavored?  Uhm....how did that turn out???

It worked out quite well, in dark chocolate with the spices I listed (that are used in haggis) 

Any hints on how to make an eggnog flavour ganache? 

I've also infused Christmas cake in cream and used that to make a ganache, but the flavour is still a bit subtle for Christmas cake chocolates, ill need to add something. 

5 minutes ago, SchiehallionHandmade said:

Any hints on how to make an eggnog flavour ganache? 

For eggnog I use Peter Greweling's recipe calling for nutmeg and dark rum in a white chocolate and butter ganache.

If you have his book, he also has a gingerbread ganache that I like a lot and make for Christmas. In the U.S. at least, pumpkin is also a holiday flavor, and he has a pumpkin ganache. In addition to those, I make a ganache with fig, anise, and port and a similar one, based on a Jean-Pierre Wybauw recipe, with dried plums (alias prunes) and port--sort of a plum pudding.

• Like 1

I made a milk chocolate and orange ganache with cloves that turned out nicely. Also, Coquito (aka “Puerto Rican Eggnog” -even though it contains no egg). It,s a traditional Puerto Rican Christmas drink made with condensed, evaporated, and coconut milk with nutmeg, cinnamon, and rum. I adapted into in ice cream base a few years ago and it was incredible. This year i adapted for bonbon centre by using white chocolate ganache with coconut milk,  spices, rum, and a few tablespoons of Coco Lopez. Quite yummy. Also a cookie butter gianduja. Planning to make Greweling’s pumpkin spice caramel ganache tomorrow.

If you like eggnog, then Greweling's is a good one too use. 

I made a orange spice tea last year with candied orange peel. 

I usually make a white chocolate peppermint with crushed candy canes, people love it.

I have made a spiced caramel apple, and I'm thinking about something with cookie butter.

I haven't figured out a formula for getting a good balance of stress, depression and Douglas fir into a ganache yet... :raz::D

• Haha 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.