• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

54 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Thanks, @liuzhou, for taking the time to explain Chinese tea culture. Despite being a Brit and raised on tea, I still remember my 1st cup of coffee in Canada. By anybody’s standards it was quite disgusting but I’ve been a convert ever since. 

Just wondering what happens if you visit someone outside of meal time. Do they offer you tea?  What beverage would be served at home with meals if there were no visitors but just the family eating?

You are welcome! I've rarely been offered tea in anyone's home. In fact, I am not sure I have ever been. Most times, at homes, I'd be offered water (either hot or cold), if anything. At meals, nothing other than maybe beer or rice wine (which isn't wine in any sense, but hard liquor). At restaurant meals or festive home meals, I see most people drink the same, although the non-drinkers may opt for Lilt or a local equivalent. Some sort of poisonous c*rn-based compound is often consumed by the ladies!

After writing what I posted, I was talking with a Chinese friend and mentioned all of this. She concurred entirely. "No, we don't drink with dinner." She also said she very seldom drinks tea, and when she does it isn't at home.

liuzhou

liuzhou

11 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Thanks, @liuzhou, for taking the time to explain Chinese tea culture. Despite being a Brit and raised on tea, I still remember my 1st cup of coffee in Canada. By anybody’s standards it was quite disgusting but I’ve been a convert ever since. 

Just wondering what happens if you visit someone outside of meal time. Do they offer you tea?  What beverage would be served at home with meals if there were no visitors but just the family eating?

You are welcome! I've rarely been offered tea in anyone's home. In fact, I am not sure I have ever been. Most times, at homes, I'd be offered water (either hot or cold), if anything. At meals, nothing other than maybe beer or rice wine (which isn't wine in any sense, but hard liquor). At restaurant meals or festive home meals, I see most people drink the same, although the non-drinkers may opt for Lilt or a local equivalent. Some sort of poisonous c*rn-based compound is often consumed by the ladies!

After writing what I posted, I was talking with a Chinese friend and mentioned all of this. She concurred entirely. "No, we don't drink with dinner." She also said she very seldom drinks tea.