• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Matthew.Taylor

Fermented German Gingerbread

https://www.wildfermentation.com/german-fermented-gingerbread-cookies/

I saw this link on a baking forum a year or so ago, and have been meaning to try it out ever since. Finally, I bit the bullet and got the stuff for it. There's a huge grocery store called Jungle Jim's here in Cincinnati that has food from all over the world, and I managed to find everything there. Basically I translated the recipe as 1 cup Treacle + 1 cup Organic Honey + 2 cups Organic All-purpose flour. Fermented Gingerbread, it just sounds fascinating. My Great Grandpa Balzhizer used to make his own wine...and his own Sauerkraut....in the same room, which is probably the reason my dad can't eat Sauerkraut, but that's another story.

So this is out in the garage right now, and due to my paranoia, I decided to masking tape the thing shut, and I hope that won't be a problem. It's November 8th right, now, and I figure I'll try baking it around December 20th.

I'll let you guys know how it goes.

:)

IMG_0327.jpg

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Matthew.Taylor said:

https://www.wildfermentation.com/german-fermented-gingerbread-cookies/

I saw this link on a baking forum a year or so ago, and have been meaning to try it out ever since. Finally, I bit the bullet and got the stuff for it. There's a huge grocery store called Jungle Jim's here in Cincinnati that has food from all over the world, and I managed to find everything there. Basically I translated the recipe as 1 cup Treacle + 1 cup Organic Honey + 2 cups Organic All-purpose flour. Fermented Gingerbread, it just sounds fascinating. My Great Grandpa Balzhizer used to make his own wine...and his own Sauerkraut....in the same room, which is probably the reason my dad can't eat Sauerkraut, but that's another story.

So this is out in the garage right now, and due to my paranoia, I decided to masking tape the thing shut, and I hope that won't be a problem. It's November 8th right, now, and I figure I'll try baking it around December 20th.

I'll let you guys know how it goes.

:)

IMG_0327.jpg

I wouldn’t seal the entire rim of the container with plastic tape like that, maybe just a simple cross tape x, and put it on some sort of tray, should it become very active and try to escape the container. I’d rather have an oozing overflow than an explosion of goo.

• Like 1

Right - some air is good. Do report back. 

Ok I’ve taken your advice and have replaced the tape with an X of tape across the top. Some air probably would be good. It’s out in the garage right now, and it’s pretty cold out there. 

• Like 1

Ratios by weight do not equal the same ratios by volume. Honey is dense and the 1 kg honey should be about 3 or 3.5 cups. Flour is light & fluffy so the 2 kg flour equals about 13 or 14 cups. I think you need more flour. And a scale ;) 

• Like 1

Probably, it was pretty loose when I put them together. My understanding of baking ratios is usually defined more by cups then grams, so I’ll consider taking this down. Let me see if there’s any reaction first.

EDIT: I really don’t want to throw this away, how much flour would you suggest to make things more even?

Edited by Matthew.Taylor (log)

12 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

Ratios by weight do not equal the same ratios by volume. Honey is dense and the 1 kg honey should be about 3 or 3.5 cups. Flour is light & fluffy so the 2 kg flour equals about 13 or 14 cups. I think you need more flour. And a scale ;) 

OK, I added a cup and a half more flour to it, and it does look a lot more like a cookie dough now. I'm just gonna wait now and see what happens.

• Like 1

if it's any help, a cup of flour for me is about 180g (a cup of water is 250g). A cup of honey is about 400g.

• Like 1

Ok I’ve talked some with the people who originally posted that link on another forum. I used a cup of Black Treacle and a cup of Organic Honey. So in order to balance it all out, I will need to add just slightly less than two more cups of flour. Judging by my research, the original listed “lager dough” recipe can be translated as follows:

1 kg of treacle = 2.97 cups

1 kg of honey = 2.94 cups

2 kgs of All-purpose flour equals 16 cups.

So to lower the amount you need 1 cup of treacle, 1cup of honey, and 5 and 1/3 cup of the flour. After that there is the fermentation period, then the adding of spices/salt and fillings, then finally the leavening.

Edited by Matthew.Taylor Misspelling. (log)