• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stan Kitson

Round Truffles

I want to make round truffles, but my hands are too hot. When I roll the ganache, the chocolate melts and the balls look awful. They setup to the firmness I want, but its a mess, even when I put two sets of gloves on.

I've tried rolling spheres on my fingers instead of my palms. I've purchased small ice cream scoops and melon ballers, but still can't get a nicely rounded ganache sphere.

Any ideas on other tools or methods I can use? 

I appreciate it!

I thought truffles were supposed to look like the ones the pigs dig up in France!  So they are not supposed to be round.  

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

It's all about the taste to me.    

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Cheers & Chocolates

16 hours ago, Stan Kitson said:

I want to make round truffles, but my hands are too hot. When I roll the ganache, the chocolate melts and the balls look awful. They setup to the firmness I want, but its a mess, even when I put two sets of gloves on.

I've tried rolling spheres on my fingers instead of my palms. I've purchased small ice cream scoops and melon ballers, but still can't get a nicely rounded ganache sphere.

Any ideas on other tools or methods I can use? 

I appreciate it!

Maybe this one —>

https://www.kunstogkokkentoj.dk/da/product/forme-og-bageudstyr/silikoneform-truffles5