• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roasted mushrooms

heidih

Oh my goodness - what a treat. Saw them on several sites. Simply cut to a bite size, tossed with salt and olive oil. A sprinkle of garlic powder and herbs optional. 375F until done to your liking. I used brown crimini. another pan on deck for tomorrow. Anyone else roast them?

• Like 4

I do whole mushrooms in a covered pan in the oven. Knob of butter in the pan, small knob of butter in each (skin side down please) and cook for about 25 mins. Then remove the lid for turn the heat up a bit for another 15. This way the mushrooms are initially steamed in their own juice, which is evaporated and you are left with moist mushrooms with really good concentration of flavor. The butter on top stops them drying out and lets face it more butter is ALWAYS good.

Butter left (not much, but usually brown/black) is used to cook fried eggs or add to sauce.

• Like 1

Be kind first.

Be nice.

(If you don't know the difference then you need to do some research)

1 hour ago, dans said:

Serious Eats did a piece on roasting mushrooms a while back. They do it slightly differently

Roasting Mushrooms

They did the tip out the juice thing but these were really fresh  no juice to tip out. They had good crust 

We do roasted veg a lot, including mushrooms (also cremini, most of the time. Whole if they're small, halved or quartered if they're not. Pretty tasty.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Try roasting them even past that point - you will be amazed at how much more flavour develops.

I often roast big shiitakes and Elm Oysters (which I forage).  I keep them whole and put a dollop of ramp butter and salt in the cap (face up).

Toasted till they are brown.  Many uses thereafter.

Hmmmm…. wondering if roasting them, deglazing the pan and making soup would work?

Tarragon, thyme and a mix of chicken and beef stock.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

On 11/7/2019 at 4:00 PM, dans said:

Serious Eats did a piece on roasting mushrooms a while back. They do it slightly differently

Roasting Mushrooms

But what do Cook's Illustrated and Alton have to say?  I did find this...

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes/8187-roasted-mushrooms-with-roasted-garlic-and-smoked-paprika

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, CatIsHungry said:

Has anyone made a compound butter with these, yet? How’d it turn out? 

In Six Seasons, there's a recipe for Double-Mushroom Butter that I liked. 

He first makes a sort of mushroom broth, simmering ~ 2 cups of mushroom trimmings (preferably wild), a clove of garlic and a sprig of thyme in enough water to cover by 1/2 inch for ~ 1 hr.   Strain out the solids and reduce the broth to ~ 2T.  

Roast another 1/2 lb mushroom @400°F for ~ 20 min or until shriveled and concentrated.  Cool and finely chop them. 

Blend together 1/2 lb unsalted butter at RT, the reduced glaze, the chopped mushrooms, 1T finely chopped parsley, 1/2t minced fresh rosemary, 1/2t kosher salt and chill for at least an hour.

Edited to add that I rarely have wild mushrooms so I usually add some dried porcini to simmer along when making the broth. 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 4

I should have got some for my baked potato tonight...next time.  Polenta, oh yeah...made the Marcella Haven way....traditional...I did this for our neighbours who are Celiac and they never imagined little old polenta could taste so good.

• Like 4

I roasted mushrooms for a pizza last night

IMG_1615.thumb.jpeg.1f87e0e54a50fb813734483066602444.jpeg

I included extras and used the trimmings from the lot of them, along with a handful of dried porcini to make a batch of the Six Seasons Double Mushroom Butter. 

IMG_1618.thumb.jpeg.0d0500e36f39e2a1a0f05cd964030221.jpeg

Used some of that to scramble up a duck egg for my breakfast and put it on my toast, too.

A008B4BE-B833-46DE-A5FD-B7723EE56EC6_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.b735219e43e63d3ecf2eade46c282969.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1