• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

1 hour ago, CatIsHungry said:

Has anyone made a compound butter with these, yet? How’d it turn out? 

In Six Seasons, there's a recipe for Double-Mushroom Butter that I liked. 

He first makes a sort of mushroom broth, simmering ~ 2 cups of mushroom trimmings (preferably wild), a clove of garlic and a sprig of thyme in enough water to cover by 1/2 inch for ~ 1 hr.   Strain out the solids and reduce the broth to ~ 2T.  

Roast another 1/2 lb mushroom @400°F for ~ 20 min or until shriveled and concentrated.  Cool and finely chop them. 

Blend together 1/2 lb unsalted butter at RT, the reduced glaze, the chopped mushrooms, 1T finely chopped parsley, 1/2t minced fresh rosemary, 1/2t kosher salt and chill for at least an hour.

Edited to add that I rarely have wild mushrooms so I usually add some dried porcini to simmer along when making the broth. 

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

18 minutes ago, CatIsHungry said:

Has anyone made a compound butter with these, yet? How’d it turn out? 

In Six Seasons, there's a recipe for Double-Mushroom Butter that I liked. 

He first makes a sort of mushroom broth, simmering ~ 2 cups of mushroom trimmings (preferably wild), a clove of garlic and a sprig of thyme in enough water to cover by 1/2 inch for ~ 1 hr.   Strain out the solids and reduce the broth to ~ 2T.  

Roast another 1/2 lb mushroom @400°F for ~ 20 min or until shriveled and concentrated.  Cool and finely chop them. 

Blend together 1/2 lb unsalted butter at RT, the reduced glaze, the chopped mushrooms, 1T finely chopped parsley, 1/2t minced fresh rosemary, 1/2t kosher salt and chill for at least an hour.