• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

how to cut up a giant winter squash?

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

I use an inexpensive curved PRUNING SAW which has teeth that are designed to easily catch on hard surfaces and cut deeply and cleanly.

I cradle the squash in a large folded towel so it won't roll.  I have posted about this  several times in the past.  I used to grow a lot of winter squash, some quite large  blue and red Hubbards.

In fact, I think I posted about this last year.  

• Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

i use an inexpensive stainless steel chinese cleaver.

any cleaver will do.  but to protect your fingers

use s mallet of some sort and tap ohm the cleaver after it gets imbedded .

take your time.  your finger tips will be happy and stay in tact.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jmacnaughtan said:

I'm curious about how you'd peel a squash one-handed after that video.

But @Nancy in Pátzcuaro, whichever method you choose, I'd recommend getting some protection between the back of your blade and your index finger when you get around to cutting it. There are few things more irritating in the kitchen than squash blisters on your cutting finger.

No need to. You can eat the rind. Very soft after cooked.

dcarch

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jmacnaughtan said:

I'm curious about how you'd peel a squash one-handed after that video.

But @Nancy in Pátzcuaro, whichever method you choose, I'd recommend getting some protection between the back of your blade and your index finger when you get around to cutting it. There are few things more irritating in the kitchen than squash blisters on your cutting finger.

Or in my case, blood.

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

10 hours ago, Naftal said:

Or in my case, blood.

Now I remember why I don't buy large winter squash. Acorn is about all I can handle. Or, on rare occasions, butternut, which I ask my husband to cut in half, although he who rarely cooks anything has more kitchen accidents than I do. He bakes fabulous bread though, which is quite safe, so that's perfect.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The current issue of Cook's Illustrated has a tip for cutting a hard squash:  use a channel knife lengthwise to cut a grove; place your knife in the grove to split the squash.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou