• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The End of Hummus?

liuzhou

Paywalled, alas.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

LOL I guess we colonials don't rate... :P

(ETA: I looked up other articles covering the same ground, so thanks anyway for the heads-up. Biodiversity is a serious concern with most worldwide staple crops...)

Edited by chromedome (log)

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Here's the source material, for anyone else who can't read the original link. 

TL:DR version:

https://www.uvm.edu/uvmnews/news/genetic-limits-threaten-chickpeas-globally-critical-food

Science-geek version:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-018-02867-z

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

12 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

@liuzhou's link in the post above took me to a paywall but when I googled Financial Times Hummus, I got a link that took me to the article titled "The fight to save hummus from extinction"

Yes. That's the article I was referencing.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

10 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Yes. That's the article I was referencing

The loss of bio diversity concerns me a great deal. The end of hummus not so much. 

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 11/6/2019 at 10:23 PM, Margaret Pilgrim said:

So use another bean.

Yeah, for those of us in other countries we can switch things up (for falafel fava beans are equally canonical; and we can certainly make other bean dips).

In the areas where chickpeas are a staple, though, it's not that simple. They're a core agricultural crop as well as a core food, so on one hand the food chain becomes that much more precarious for everyone if the crop fails (ie, we're likely looking at millions of people starving) and the agricultural sector also needs to learn - almost overnight - how to reinvent itself around a new and unfamiliar crop.

To put it into perspective, imagine a sudden blight wiping out the US corn crop. Americans and Canadians (because we grow the same cultivars, it would affect us as well) would not be in imminent danger of starving, thankfully, but it would be a massive, costly and emotionally wrenching* dislocation.

*How many corn-based dishes are hard-core, group-identity comfort foods in the Americas? It's like that for chickpeas in their homelands, too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes!  My prior attempted post did not go yesterday. In many developing nations chickpeas are the affordable protein. But it is encouragng that scientists are working on it.  Not an ignored issue.

• Like 1