• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Blueberry curd or blueberry butter in the Thermomix

Franci

Hi guys, I don’t have any experience making jams in the Thermomix. Maybe @Kerry Beal can give me some tips? I have a bag of Wyman’s blueberry in the freezer. It is taking very precious space and my daughter stopped eating frozen blueberries. I was thinking of making a curd or even better a butter, which seems more versatile.  Any suggestion on how to do it? Or a recipe?  I am not planning on canning, maybe refreeze some since I hope it will take less space.  Thanks!!!

I can give you this recipe:

500 g   blueberries

100 g   sugar

40 g    corn starch

Put blueberries in the Thermomix, blitz until you get a puree.

Add sugar and corn starch, blitz, then cook to boiling point, still running the blades at low speed.

Sugar amount is for average sweetnees, you can use less or more depending on your taste.

You can use this curd in place of pastry cream, even for the torta della nonna. It pairs well with frangipane and amaretti.

If you have frozen blueberries then you can use them in a cake made in this way:

- thin layer of pasta frolla (say 3 mm);

-  layer of frangipane (around 1 cm);

- cover the frangipane with frozen blueberries;

- another layer of frangipane over the blueberries (around 1 cm even here).

Optionally you can sprinkle the top with flaked almonds.

Cook at 180° C.

Teo

• Like 2

Teo

4 hours ago, Franci said:

Hi guys, I don’t have any experience making jams in the Thermomix. Maybe @Kerry Beal can give me some tips? I have a bag of Wyman’s blueberry in the freezer. It is taking very precious space and my daughter stopped eating frozen blueberries. I was thinking of making a curd or even better a butter, which seems more versatile.  Any suggestion on how to do it? Or a recipe?  I am not planning on canning, maybe refreeze some since I hope it will take less space.  Thanks!!!

Glad Teo came through - I was getting nowhere!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, teonzo said:

I can give you this recipe:

500 g   blueberries

100 g   sugar

40 g    corn starch

Put blueberries in the Thermomix, blitz until you get a puree.

Add sugar and corn starch, blitz, then cook to boiling point, still running the blades at low speed.

Sugar amount is for average sweetnees, you can use less or more depending on your taste.

You can use this curd in place of pastry cream, even for the torta della nonna. It pairs well with frangipane and amaretti.

If you have frozen blueberries then you can use them in a cake made in this way:

- thin layer of pasta frolla (say 3 mm);

-  layer of frangipane (around 1 cm);

- cover the frangipane with frozen blueberries;

- another layer of frangipane over the blueberries (around 1 cm even here).

Optionally you can sprinkle the top with flaked almonds.

Cook at 180° C.

Teo

Do you run this through a food fill to get rid of the skins?

I did afterwords but next time I’d cook a bit to soften, then pass to the sift and put back with the sugar and starch. Also I’d add some lemon juice. I already used some for “not my usual frolla” cookies. I am waiting for it to cool down. 

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Do you run this through a food fill to get rid of the skins?

If you have a Thermomix there's no need for that, that machine makes a great job for making a smooth pure that does not need straining skins and seeds.

If you have a food processor that does not make a great job like the Thermomix, then yes, you need to run it through a food mill or a chinois. This if you want a smooth puree, there are people that appreciate some coarse pieces in it, it's just a personal taste as for everything.

Teo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Teo

10 hours ago, Franci said:

Also I’d add some lemon juice

Definetely this, I forgot about lemon juice which is pretty mandatory with blueberries (I copied a recipe for pomegranate curd, that fruit does not need added acid).

Teo

• Like 1

Teo