• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Make/Size of brazier for your home?

paul o' vendange

Hello,

I have a lot of cookware, but it's all vastly oversized for home use.  Generally I've always gone with Vollrath Intrigue on stockpots and my large rondeaus.  I've been collecting smaller items over time.

At home, what size/capacity braziers do you use?  Brands (will have to stay with Vollrath range, i.e., Matfer Bourgeat is out).

Thanks all.

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

I'm confused, because the dictionary definition of a brazier is as follows:

a metal container for burning coal, wood, etc., used to give warmth or to cook on.

In which case, I have nary a one.  However, if you mean a pot to braise stuff in, it depends on how many I'm cooking for.  If just the two of us, I actually use a small rondeau, about 2.5 quarts, from Falk.  I also have a similar sized Staub.

If I'm cooking for a dinner party, say 6-8 people, then I go up to my 6 or 7 quart dutch ovens.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Yeah, I did use it a bit loosely in terms of common usage.  It's used interchangeably with rondeau; also braiser.  I have an army of various sauteuses, sautoirs, etc., large (28 qt.) stock pots, and a massive rondeau, don't recall the size but I used to braise 4 lamb shoulders at a time in it, mostly what I used it for.  I just don't have an idea of scale for home on the rondeau.  I do have a few Le Creuset heirlooms from my wife's side, which are beautiful.  I was looking at Vollrath Intrigue's 12 quart, but it sounds like maybe that's overkill. 

Thanks for your post.

Edited by paul o' vendange (log)

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

Yeah, I think 12 is overkill for the home. 8 at most, unless you're feeding 8 kids.

A nice mix of 4, 6, and 8 should get the job done efficiently.

But what about those heirlooms - let's have a look see!!

Tasty Travails - My Blog

IMG_8763.thumb.JPG.383dc9c242faf3d6c8e89bd0147a2330.JPG

Top left is a 4 liter old enameled cast iron from Belgium and top middle is a 2.5 L Staub - I use it for a whole small chicken, from a recipe I found in a Cook's Illustrated.  Chicken braise classic in these.

My larger braising pots are in a closet and only schlepped out when I need them...they're heavy!

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

• 1 month later...

Weinoo,

Sorry for such a late reply.  I have substantial medical issues and I've been out of commish.

Just to say thanks for your posts.  I've a better idea now.

-Paul