• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Antibiotics in FastFood Beef

rotuts

Interesting.

But The article got it partially wrong.

Farmers don't use antibiotics on a herd to treat infection, they dose the calves to promote growth. Antibiotics give about a 10% increased weight when the calf reaches slaughter.  Like having an extra cow for every ten you treat. There's money in that.

Its thought that changes in the cow's gut bacteria are responsible for the weight gain.

• Like 1

I don't eat fast food so not a peronal issue but  none of this is gonna kill you tomorrow. Scientific reporting in the general media and even in some journals has not adhered to standards.  "Grain of salt" as you read :)  Example  https://www.cde.ca.gov/re/es/evidence.asp

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 2

I posted this as Chipotle seems to have done much much better than anyone

in spite of several early ' setbacks ' at their establishments.   there is one very near me

their carnitas ( not exactly beef ) burrito is tasty , well made , and attractively priced 

for the amount of food they give you.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

I have been buying local farm-raised beef and chicken for the past several years. While I prefer (a) critters which were raised humanely, and (b) which were not dosed with antibiotics and hormones, the big reason is I find a significant taste difference in local farm-raised beef and chicken.

Oddly, I do not see the same taste difference in most farm-raised pork, with the exception of one farmer I bought from in Hot Springs whose pork was almost like red meat. I don't know if that was a function of the breed of pig, its forage, or what. But I will buy grocery store pork (and not think about how it was raised and handled at slaughter).

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com