• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Halloween Trick or Treat

Yesterday on the radio I heard about a gent somewhere in the US who spray-painted a length of sonotube to make it orange, then secured it to his porch railing with black duct tape to  make a "candy chute." He'll stay on the porch, masked and gloved, and the little ones will hold their bags and buckets under the chute while he drops in treats from his elevated perch.

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Church usually does a fall carnival with games, bounce houses, "Trunk or Treat, hot dogs and popcorn for the neighborhood kids. Sadly, not this year. I suspect my only T or T'er will be my grandson.

• Sad 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

17 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

My county health dept has banned trick or treating for this year.  Wonder if the candy has been marked down?

After an uproar, the county revised their Halloween guidance on trick-or-treating from "Not Permitted" to "Not Recommended" 

Per the local paper, the state will be issuing guidance soon that should make it easier for counties to maintain consistency with neighboring areas. 

I rarely got many kids.  My neighborhood has no streetlights and few sidewalks so it's really not a hotbed for trick-or-treating anyway.  I used to give out those lunchbox-sized packs of chips, Fritos, Doritos, Cheetos, pretzels, etc and happily scarf up the leftovers.  It won't hurt me to skip that practice!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Lordy...a co-worker brought in some "fun-size" Butterfinger candy bars (packaged for Halloween). The co-worker said they didn't taste right. I explained how the company that made Butterfingers had been sold and the new owner "improved" (ha!) the recipe. The co-worker left them in the break room where I am certain they will be eaten by the unsuspecting.

Definitely not a Halloween "treat".>:( xD

• Sad 3

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Last year we did trick or treating but no get together to eat. Given the kids involved either attend the same school/grade or are old enough to be vaxxed (and all the adults involved are), we're thinking we will be able to go back to eating after. The first year we hosted Halloween we did simple rigatoni with tomato sauce and ricotta as an option (there's a vegetarian in the crowd). After that we started saying the heck with it and ordering pizza. :)  Just have to order far in advance. Sometimes I get dessert, sometimes we steal candy from the kids.  But apparently I won't be stealing Butterfingers this year!

• Haha 3

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

On 9/22/2021 at 5:33 PM, Toliver said:

Lordy...a co-worker brought in some "fun-size" Butterfinger candy bars (packaged for Halloween). The co-worker said they didn't taste right. I explained how the company that made Butterfingers had been sold and the new owner "improved" (ha!) the recipe. The co-worker left them in the break room where I am certain they will be eaten by the unsuspecting.

Definitely not a Halloween "treat".>:( xD

See if you can find Clark bars - they are made with real chocolate and are FAR superior to Butterfingers.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Bumping!

We don't get trick or treaters--which I'm fine with because I'm a grinch lol.  But I like hearing about others that do.  I just looked at the Halloween candy online at Walmart and passed.....we will see if I remain strong tomorrow.  I am sure it's different all over.  Are kids going this year...I dunno.

I'm trying to decide dinner--any reason to celebrate for me --I have some beef ribs in the freezer which seems appropriate.

• Like 3

I still have not done this  https://food52.com/recipes/8011-roasted-cheese-pumpkin  I do have a can of pumpkin (large) and could use half in a sweet treat for very helpful gardener and rest in a soup with coconut milk, garlic (vampires be gone), and an aging hunk of brie + some home made whole wheat bread in freezer to dip. Sounds like a plan. Only appropriate fresh herb I have is rosemary (she is currently enjoying the gentle rain)

• Delicious 1

Debating whether to run to the store for treats - snack size chips, Doritos, Fritos etc are my usual - or just leave the lights off and hide. 

I rarely get any kids. None last year, of course. 

I have this much candy corn, bought for decorative purposes but I don’t think I should reach into the candle holder and hand out fistfuls of the stuff. 

CB9B2998-22E0-475A-B65B-25138EE1B13C.thumb.jpeg.44bdd54b0b5b45eb83c8fd4e6ab00d41.jpeg

• Haha 4

I was just happy that we managed to actually eat dinner without interruption. Bought 2 bags of Reeses cups (50, more or less, depending on how many DH snuck). Might be just enough.

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

not getting any trick-or-treaters this year

is not bad at all .

buying all that candy is another matter

I used to always take any extra to the

library the next day.

one mini-milkyway was 30 + minutes

on a treadmill , 4 miles an hour 

max elevation , 20 degrees or so 

a fast walk-ing pace , but up hill.

eat two :  forget about it.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Haha 5

I hid upstairs switching between football and baseball while my wife and daughter passed out candy (and the dog freaked out and hid in her crate). We ran out of candy less than an hour into the two hour window the city set up. 

• Like 5

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

We seem down here to have gone mostly to organized events (churches, the library, etc.) where kids can come for candy. We had a "Trunk or Treat" at church, a dozen or so cars lined up, dispensing candy out of the trunk. Lots of little ones, a few bigger ones.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

We had record trick or treaters turnout here.  Not sure what the difference is, but there are quite a few new people in the neighborhood in the last year or so.   I love decorating the yard for Halloween and we give out the bigger candy bars, some kids told us they make sure to visit us early due to those.  I know I would, I remember the houses that gave out the big bars from my trick or treating days too, many, many years on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

A local beach started a Witches on Paddleboards event last  year. Pretty fun. Rest of event like Kayb - Trunk or Treat. Amazon left a package at bottom of my loong  unlit driveway after dark 2 feet from the main road - still there this morning so no "Tricking" went on

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I didn't realize it was a "thing". Here is one 4 hours north of me in my favorite paddling place  https://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/local/article255358426.html  On candy - I saw a guy grabbing bags from the display yesterday morning. I was asked if it was for his personal stash or for kids. He was young and handsome - would not have done so if he was cubby at all. He grinned and said bit of both.

• Like 2

Loved seeing the witches on the water in @heidih's link! 

I DID go and buy treats yesterday afternoon.  I specifically selected an assortment that included bags of Funyuns, just in case @Anna N came by 🙃.  Alas, she did not, nor did anyone else.  That means I have 18 snack-size bags of salty treats (per the label, 3 should be Funyuns), which is not so bad - I almost bought the 45-bag pack, just in case.  And the cats were not traumatized by a single knock or doorbell ring, though it would have been a good experience for my two trainee cats. 

Slight disappointment as even though I didn't have a costume, my hair is currently bright orange in the front and acid green in the back (Psychedelic Sunset and Electric Lizard from Manic Panic for those interested in specifics, both glow under black lights) so I could have earned points from the kids.  The day before Halloween, a lady at Trader Joe's gasped when I turned around and said, "Oh, my god - you did that to your own hair!!!  I saw you earlier and thought it must be a wig!  True engagement is rare in these days of masked grocery shopping!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I had two young kids ring my bell at 3:30pm. That’s…really early. I was on my deck watching them from my camera on my phone. The littlest one was so mad the threw my Amazon delivery at my door lol! 

After that, absolutely nothing. I meant to turn off the outside lights but Maisey and I napped. 

While I’m sure the two who came to my door were cute, I’m sure I will be much cuter without having candy around to snack on! 😬

• Like 1

We love Halloween and really look forward to the kids coming around.  We sat outside this year, rather than wait for the doorbell to ring, as it seemed safer.  We filled treat bags and placed them on a table rather than handing them things out of a bowl.  The parents we talked to seemed to appreciate the precautions.  

We also participated in the Trunk or Treat (🙄) part of our church's Fall Festival.  Instead of candy, Jessica bought a bunch of little Halloween themed toys at $Tree and did a version of the Duck Pond game - upended cups with the "treat" underneath for the kids to pick up.  For me, Halloween is really a children's holiday and, not having any grandchildren, I love participating in things where I get to see the little ones (and some big ones, too - I don't mind) enjoying themselves.

• Like 7

18 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I didn't have a costume, my hair is currently bright orange in the front and acid green in the back (Psychedelic Sunset and Electric Lizard from Manic Panic for those interested in specifics, both glow under black lights) so I could have earned points from the kids.

You've earned points from some of us, also! I would love a photo, I ADORE your hair colour(s).   🙂

49 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

You've earned points from some of us, also! I would love a photo, I ADORE your hair colour(s).   🙂

Your wish is my command!

Edited to remove photo because it's off-topic.  I'll find another spot!

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 2