• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Halloween Trick or Treat

7 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I only had about 10 kids last night.  I turned off my porch light at 8:30.  The doorbell rang once after that but I didn't answer.  

I'm a couple of days late on this one (the story of my life 🙃) but what do you call the night before Halloween?  It was Cabbage Night where I grew up in northern NY but I've never heard anyone out here refer to it by any name.  

We didn’t have many kids - some came and took some M&Ms and Snickers bars, but unfortunately they didn’t take much (I wish they would’ve taken everything and left the bowl ... I did call my neighbor and try to persuade her to convince her son to come empty the bowl, but it was a no go 🤷🏻‍♀️ ... So now I have a a bunch of Reese’s - 

m&ms and Snickers barstool i have no idea what to do with ... I guess Mr Cat can take them to work (along with everyone else 😂). 

The night before Halloween - we mostly called it “The Night Before Halloween” - once in a while we referred to it as Mischief Night ... I’ve never heard it called Cabbage Night before - makes me think y’all run around with those little Cabbage Patch Dolls (just the first thing to pop into my mind - sorry 😐)  

• Like 2

I have an EpiPen ... my friend gave it to me when he was dying ... it seemed very important to him that I have it ... 

5 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I am endlessly entertained by those maps and the questionnaires that identify where you are from based on your responses!

I am, too ... In our family we always called a Soda, Soda never Pop or Dr Pepper or Coke and the list goes endlessly on (but, my mom emigrated here from S Korea - spoke six languages - some things were easier for her to translate to English blah blah blah) ...

Mr Cat, however - opposite - and the first time I heard him pronounce “Popeye” (as in Popeye The Sailor Man) - I couldn’t quit laughing for 3 days 🤷🏻‍♀️ (he pronounces it “pie-pie” ... I don’t know - maybe you had to be there 😁

• Haha 1

I have an EpiPen ... my friend gave it to me when he was dying ... it seemed very important to him that I have it ... 

On 10/31/2019 at 8:40 PM, chileheadmike said:

When my two daughters were little, the neighbor dads would take all the kids out to trick or treat. It was usually pretty cold. There were usually four dads and a bunch of kids. We'd load up  a little red wagon with beer and pull that around while the kids hit every house within a square mile. It was usually cold enough that the beer stayed cold.  We'd even hand out some beers to passing dads as well.  Probably illegal but... well... Good times. 

Before they started the “trunk or treat” thing here a few years ago - we had the dads (sometimes moms) come by with their kiddos in golf carts, on 4 wheelers or side by sides ... always cracked me up ... it’s a small neighborhood- so everyone shared their ... ummm ... provisions 😁

1 hour ago, CatIsHungry said:

I am, too ... In our family we always called a Soda, Soda never Pop or Dr Pepper or Coke and the list goes endlessly on (but, my mom emigrated here from S Korea - spoke six languages - some things were easier for her to translate to English blah blah blah) ...

Mr Cat, however - opposite - and the first time I heard him pronounce “Popeye” (as in Popeye The Sailor Man) - I couldn’t quit laughing for 3 days 🤷🏻‍♀️ (he pronounces it “pie-pie” ... I don’t know - maybe you had to be there 😁

My relatives in Ontario, Canada  (?) bottled "pop". Retail store  was called the Pop Shop. Not a California term at all. I think we were already inducted into the brand name game. Oh my Aussie bil had a moment with a waitress who asked "soup or salad?" - he said yes - cuz he heard "super salad". Still makes me laugh. 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, heidih said:

My relatives in Ontario, Canada  (?) bottled "pop". Retail store  was called the Pop Shop. Not a California term at all. I think we were already inducted into the brand name game. Oh my Aussie bil had a moment with a waitress who asked "soup or salad?" - he said yes - cuz he heard "super salad". Still makes me laugh. 

That would be "Shoppe," not Shop. :)

The brand was quite popular when I was a kid, and got revived a decade or so ago. Definitely, the beverage has always been "pop" in Canada (at least Atlantic Canada, I can't vouch for the rest) for at least my lifetime. The term "soda" only came into vogue in the 80s, and was reserved for the putatively Italian-style beverages made with plain soda water and a squirt of flavored syrup. Lately it is also applied (sometimes) to those unsweetened soda waters infused with fruit flavorings.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

One of my (American) colleagues shared this earlier today on FB:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

14 hours ago, chromedome said:

That would be "Shoppe," not Shop. :)

The brand was quite popular when I was a kid, and got revived a decade or so ago. Definitely, the beverage has always been "pop" in Canada (at least Atlantic Canada, I can't vouch for the rest) for at least my lifetime. The term "soda" only came into vogue in the 80s, and was reserved for the putatively Italian-style beverages made with plain soda water and a squirt of flavored syrup. Lately it is also applied (sometimes) to those unsweetened soda waters infused with fruit flavorings.

It's Coke. 

The full-sugar, full-caffiene model is Co-Cola. Anything else is Coke.

"What kind of Coke you want?" "Let me have a Sprite." (Or, in the alternative, "I'll take a Pepsi.")

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 8 months later...

It's a little early to post this but what the heck...

"Hershey’s Will Have A Ton Of New Halloween Candy This Year Including Reese’s Cups With Green Creme"

Hershey's shared with us an early look at its Halloween line for this year and they did not disappoint. I have had bags of these in my home for about a week now and let me tell you...it's going to be a happy Halloween.

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

34 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Phew!  The green is only a sort of tinted white chocolate on the outside. I was afraid there was going to be a green peanut butter filling inside!

And sign me up for a tasting of the (likely awful artificial) strawberry filled Vampire Kisses - they look quite deadly!

• Like 2

Ack artificial strawbery favoring makes me gag probably cuz son had a bit of an allergy to it as a child (not pretty). To me Halloween is nostalgia so I prefer the standards if indulging. I do like the trend in last (well many) years to the snack or mini versions of standards. I'm thinkin this year will be very very different

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Phew!  The green is only a sort of tinted white chocolate on the outside. I was afraid there was going to be a green peanut butter filling inside!

And sign me up for a tasting of the (likely awful artificial) strawberry filled Vampire Kisses - they look quite deadly!

To be honest, I can't think of a more toxic idea than Reese's that are either green peanut butter OR green white chocolate. If someone gave me that in my pillow I would toilet paper their tree. Well, maybe not in the time of a pandemic.

• Haha 3

@Toliver Not sure if Reese's makes "Halloween" candy in the dark chocolate peanut butter cups. But the dark chocolate cups do come out in miniature size (Halloween-friendly). If you haven't tried the dark chocolate Reese's, give it a try (frozen or refrigerated is even better, IMO).

• Like 2

no Halloweeners are coming to my door

this year

w/o a vaccination card.

it used to be called a Yellow Card

or

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carte_Jaune

of course

Swells are trying to do away w the WHO etc

no Vac's 

no candy.

Big Sugar has been officially notified.

they are trembling on their Canes.

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

no Halloweeners are coming to my door

this year

w/o a vaccination card.

it used to be called a Yellow Card

or

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carte_Jaune

I hadn't thought about that.  Maybe we can toss candies out of the second floor windows - like a stationary parade.  😟

3 hours ago, MokaPot said:

@Toliver Not sure if Reese's makes "Halloween" candy in the dark chocolate peanut butter cups. But the dark chocolate cups do come out in miniature size (Halloween-friendly). If you haven't tried the dark chocolate Reese's, give it a try (frozen or refrigerated is even better, IMO).

I don't know if I have had dark chocolate made by whoever makes Reese's,  but if it's Hershey it isn't anything to write home about. Trader Joe's makes mini cups with dark chocolate and although the chocolate is excellent,  the PB filling is way too sweet for me.

After July 4th, I feel like the year just flies by, like the downward slope of a roller coaster.  Pretty soon it'll be Labor Day and then...Halloween will look very different this year, I agree.  I feel like I want to set up a trough so I can line up candy or treats (like snack bags of chips or doritos) so the kids don't have to stick their hands into a communal bowl, and their parents won't have to worry about it getting handed to their kids.  We don't get a lot of kids these days; when we moved into this house 25 years ago, we went through two or three huge bags of candy on Halloween night.  Now we're lucky to go through half a small bag. :(

We didn't call the night before anything special, though.

• 2 months later...

My local Walmart grocery store has been slowly taking over the "Back to School" section with Halloween candy. Last week it was a third of the display area and now it's at least half of the area. So much for Back to School.

And I have to report that the Fun Size Snickers I bought and put out at work didn't last more than an hour. I am surrounded by Plebeians! And hungry Plebeians, at that. :D

• Haha 3

Tim Oliver

4 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

My county health dept has banned trick or treating for this year.  Wonder if the candy has been marked down?

I wish they would do that here.  If I had kids no way would I let them go sticking their hands in a bowl  of candy that a zillion others had been in.

• Like 3

Never a fan and my kid was the kind who didn't bother to hide his bag from his dad (Mr Sweet Tooth)  so I am not in line  but if they mark down the little sugar pumpkins I will indulge in a mini for me version of a cheese and cream roasted one. All over the internet.  Like this  https://food52.com/recipes/8011-roasted-cheese-pumpkin

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

...Wonder if the candy has been marked down?

No way no how.

They need to do a survey to find out how much Halloween candy never makes it to Halloween (being eaten before the holiday). Guilty! xD

• Haha 1

Tim Oliver

We have a grandnephew and 2 grandnieces.  I'm thinking I might see if their parents want to bring them over to "Trick or Treat" at our house.  We'd still mask up and distance since they aren't in our "circle", but they are in each other's circle and spend time together and the parents would know that we'd be a safe place to come.  Not sure.  So much is up in the air!  Depressing - we love any and all holidays.  Decorating the house and having mini monsters and robots to exclaim over is so fun.  We even play music and open the windows so you can hear it on the street.  😟

• Like 3