• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Halloween Trick or Treat

6 hours ago, chileheadmike said:

They have moved Halloween to  Saturday. Between 3 and 5 pm. 

I'm sorry, and no offense meant towards you, but I find that ridiculous.  I lived way up in the mountains during my trick or treat years.  Never once could anyone see my costume due to the heavy coat, gloves and moon boots.  Suck it up, kids and parents.  Stay home if you can't take it lol.

And, I was just telling Ronnie, there was one stop that they always had homemade popcorn balls.  SO good.  Also, homemade caramel apples---none of the nonsense like nuts or frosting--perfect caramel apples.

The good 'ole days.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I remember way back when , when the Russians were going to nuke us , and they had drills where you hid under your desk

as if that would matter  ....

there were home made brownies , home made cookies , and etc.

indeed you and to have a costume worth explaining  .

and home made !

for a while i bought cheep candy , in the bags.   then I bought good candy , and sometimes ate it all

for a while two weeks before halloween , Rite-Aide had the cheeps good candy.   then the price went up.

last year , 4 bags of good candy ,  $ 10.  had to buy 4.

although the candy in the little bags gets smaller each year , it was one to a customer at my place.

so it didn't matter.

now and for years I bundle up all the left-over candy , high quality stuff and take it to library as soon as they open.

Ive been concerned that MC might want to escape, and for a while he was In Detention in the downstairs bath room.

this year it was very odd :  no rain , but pending

and I have one of those dial programer thing-ids for the front porch light.

this year I couldnt figure out how to turn it on.  it has an on-off switch , but wont stay on.

so Im hunkering down , with a 2 watt light on , trying to finish the last Jack Reacher book

in the farthest space from the front door.   why ask for trouble ?

the computer is on ' sleep ' for less light.

I feel like a criminal.  even ice cold MR doesnt help.

hoping for the best , but only a few packs of little screechers so far.

all quiet on The Front right now.

oh yes , I remember trick or treating for UNICEF too  I think it was pennies.  unlikely nickels 

you took your container to school the next day 

then the Brinks truck stopped by.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

I'm sorry, and no offense meant towards you, but I find that ridiculous.  I lived way up in the mountains during my trick or treat years.  Never once could anyone see my costume due to the heavy coat, gloves and moon boots.  Suck it up, kids and parents.  Stay home if you can't take it lol.

And, I was just telling Ronnie, there was one stop that they always had homemade popcorn balls.  SO good.  Also, homemade caramel apples---none of the nonsense like nuts or frosting--perfect caramel apples.

The good 'ole days.

No offense taken, I didn't postpone it. :)  It ain't that bad out. Cold and windy but not enough to keep me from firing up the Weber and grilling some chicken... in my ugly gym shorts and t-shirt. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

7 hours ago, chileheadmike said:

those caramel things wrapped in orange and black waxed paper. 

*memories* Peanut Butter molasses kisses ... my sister took those, too - I stole them back when she wasn’t looking - I loved those. 

• Like 2

I have an EpiPen ... my friend gave it to me when he was dying ... it seemed very important to him that I have it ... 

7 hours ago, Alex said:

I think we did that one year when we weren't home, but Ms. Alex loves to see the kids in their costumes. I do, too, but I'm not as into it as she is.

The kids do look cute, no doubt but not cute enough to outweigh my pup barking whenever someone barks at the door ... 

Ive had the candy bowl out for an hour and a half - it is cold here today - 43 deg (Dallas area) - not many takers ... a few, but not a whole lot. 

• Like 1

I have an EpiPen ... my friend gave it to me when he was dying ... it seemed very important to him that I have it ... 

29 for the low tonight. I didn't turn the porch light on. Haven't heard any activity on the street; don't see a lot of kids in this 'hood, anyway.

Didn't even buy candy because I wasn't planning on being home.

All Grinchy and stuff.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

When my two daughters were little, the neighbor dads would take all the kids out to trick or treat. It was usually pretty cold. There were usually four dads and a bunch of kids. We'd load up  a little red wagon with beer and pull that around while the kids hit every house within a square mile. It was usually cold enough that the beer stayed cold.  We'd even hand out some beers to passing dads as well.  Probably illegal but... well... Good times. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

The good 'ole days.

When Hurricane Sandy hit back in 2012, our governor “cancelled” Halloween as it was too dangerous with the flooding and the millions without power,  not to mention downed power lines and trees. It was a smart call. 

It was very warm here— above 70– but we only got one trick or treater. One. And her parents brought their German Shepard (pretty ballsy imo) who barked at Maisey and then I got dirty looks from the parents when Maisey jumped up and gave their child (who squealed and reached to pet her) a kiss. 

Maybe we’re the neighbor weirdos now? At least I can give my husband the candy to bring to work where it’s appreciated. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MetsFan5 said:

“cancelled” Halloween as it was too dangerous with the flooding and the millions without power,

Obviously a smart call and a totally different situation. :) 

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, MetsFan5 said:

When Hurricane Sandy hit back in 2012, our governor “cancelled” Halloween as it was too dangerous with the flooding and the millions without power,  not to mention downed power lines and trees. It was a smart call. 

It was very warm here— above 70– but we only got one trick or treater. One. And her parents brought their German Shepard (pretty ballsy imo) who barked at Maisey and then I got dirty looks from the parents when Maisey jumped up and gave their child (who squealed and reached to pet her) a kiss. 

Maybe we’re the neighbor weirdos now? At least I can give my husband the candy to bring to work where it’s appreciated. 

After Snowtober the year before … then Sandy …. here in Morris County NJ folks started Trunk or Treating where folks with young un's could hang out, give out candy and admire costumes since we had no freaking electricity for 3 = 21 days.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

As a snot nosed kid, my favorite house for Halloween loot offered a huge bowl of pennies.  You were allowed to plunge one hand in to it and everything you could grab was yours.  I was kind of a puny kid and had a small hand but every year I thought I might capture enough for a bike or something as amazing. In reality, I was damn lucky to grab more than a quarter's worth of coppers.  But, maybe next year. I dreamed.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

@IowaDee that’s a cute memory! 

I always keep a lot of change by the door because as a kid I always had a unicef box to collect money in addition to my candy. As an adult I’ve never seen that. 

So now I have a lot of change and too much candy. I can separate myself from the change more easily than I can the candy! 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, suzilightning said:

After Snowtober the year before … then Sandy …. here in Morris County NJ folks started Trunk or Treating where folks with young un's could hang out, give out candy and admire costumes since we had no freaking electricity for 3 = 21 days.

I lived in Hoboken back then and it was ugly. We only lost a car which co pared to most, it wasn’t a big loss. 
  My husband told me about this trunk treating tonight and I called him a liar. 😌 I thought NJ kids were tougher than that! 

@Alex – this was my Halloween card from my daughter last night:

card2.thumb.jpg.66271266069e4a7285e4de122245cfd4.jpg card.jpg.9b196c9af80eb5f508c112a8d8e549c7.jpg

I love Halloween – from the decorating of the house (we have about 8 boxes of things) to running back and forth to the door exclaiming over the costumes and the good manners of the kids who remember to say “thank you” and “Happy Halloween”.  I’m disappointed the years that we get a low turnout.  I don’t care how old you are.  I don’t care how far away your home neighborhood is.  My heart breaks a little when they are on their own – no best buddy to trick or treat with.  All three of us are Halloween aficionados – Mr. Kim and Jess will call me to the door to see a fabulous costume.  I’ll call them to make sure they see the toddler dressed as Harry Potter.  We love it. 

As a kid, I remember liking almost every candy except for Circus Peanuts.  Mr. Kim still puts Dum-Dums in the bowl because he loved them so much as a kid.  I was sad to see the homemade goodies go by the wayside.  I loved popcorn balls and caramel apples!  Since we are horrified at the idea of coming up short, we buy too much.  These two bowls are what is left over this morning:

candy.jpg.71f7007a7da041588d0d01c06c9fd5c5.jpg

Those are pretty big bowls.  And that is not including various candy bowls and baskets around the house.  I will take a few pieces every day to my mom and her roommate at the nursing center.  They will be thrilled.  Maybe not the Dum-Dums, though. 😄

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, lindag said:

Dum-Dums?  Never heard of them.

Small suckers. 

Several years ago I was in a week long "boot camp" for one of our IT tools. The teacher handed out either dum-dums or smarties depending on how you answered her questions. 

• Haha 4

24 minutes ago, chileheadmike said:

Small suckers. 

Several years ago I was in a week long "boot camp" for one of our IT tools. The teacher handed out either dum-dums or smarties depending on how you answered her questions. 

My fat self missed the significance of those two candy names at first and just thought, "Oooooh, candy!!!".  LOL

• Like 1

I only had about 10 kids last night.  I turned off my porch light at 8:30.  The doorbell rang once after that but I didn't answer.  

I'm a couple of days late on this one (the story of my life 🙃) but what do you call the night before Halloween?  It was Cabbage Night where I grew up in northern NY but I've never heard anyone out here refer to it by any name.  

I bought two large (80 piece) bags of candy - Hershey brand miniatures so technically DH should have given out 2 per kid, these aren't the "Fun Size" (ex: Twix is one small stick). I had to work late so he was in charge and probably ate around 10 pieces but we only used one bag, so that means roughly 70 kids.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I'm a couple of days late on this one (the story of my life 🙃) but what do you call the night before Halloween?  It was Cabbage Night where I grew up in northern NY but I've never heard anyone out here refer to it by any name.  

Here's another Halloween map (scroll down about 2/3 of the way), along with 26 others. 

• Like 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

4 minutes ago, Alex said:

Here's another Halloween map (scroll down about 2/3 of the way), along with 26 others. 

That's actually the one that got me started today when a friend from NJ posted it on Facebook while complaining that no one in Atlanta had ever heard of Mischief Night.  Of course, I had to look up the other one map to find one with my Cabbage Night on it!  

I am endlessly entertained by those maps and the questionnaires that identify where you are from based on your responses!

• Like 2