• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I'm trying to choose a cooking gift. Looking for info on sous vide device vs. Instant Pot.

MetsFan5

58 minutes ago, MetsFan5 said:

Which do you find you use more frequently/ is easier to use: a sous vide other an Instapot? 

I love my IPot, in fact I have two of them.

The SV, not so much.  Just not my style of cooking.  I gave my Anova away.

(old dog, new tricks, you know.)

Edited by lindag (log)

5 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

Which do you find you use more frequently/ is easier to use: a sous vide other an Instapot? 

Of the two of them, definitely the IP.  It is just easier to get out and deal with.  If I had good counter space or even storage in my kitchen, my IP would live on the counter and the Anova would be in one of those big drawers.  If that were the case, I think I'd still use the IP more.  It suits my cooking style and is just more flexible, I think.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i use both.

the instant [pot more frequently , 

but when I do SV , I do " bulk "  i.e. a lot of bags then freeze them for future use.

I di use the iPot for TurkeyRagu , then freeze , and TURkeyStock ,  multiple times to concentrator , then Fz the ' bricks '

• Like 1

I use the IP more. I tend  to use SV more in the summer, as I love to SV meat that then gets smoked or seared on the grill. Like @rotuts, I will often SV in bulk. It's a little more trouble to set up the SV rig (get out the Cambro, fill it in the laundry room sink, seal the protein in a bag, etc.). IP gets more use in the winter when I'm making lots of soup, chili, and so on. I'll also do bulk rice in it and freeze packages for later.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@MetsFan5

you wont go wrong wi9th any of these.

if you go with the iPot , 

Im not sure the newer versions are that much better than V2  : the first one w the

" handles "

and don't forget to include a " Steamer basket "  that5 fits the model you choose

the SB adds a significant dimension to the iPot.

• Like 2

How does the proposed gift recipient cook? If they're meat-centric, and use a grill often, SV might be the better option. If they're more prone to soups and stews and veggies, I'd go IP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I use the sous vide all the time, for most of the meat that I cook. I have 2 Joules, easy access to the containers, and an easy way to fill up the water.

Mind you, I don't have either an IP or CSO. I did buy @JAZ's IP cooking for two (as a gift), but that made me LESS interested in an IP than more; NOT what I expected.

• Confused 1

I am the proposed gift receiver. 😬  But so is my mother. 
  My mom could use it as she has to cook different dinners for herself and my father. My dad is highly allergic to all poultry and white, flakey fish and my mom is low carb. 

Personally I never know when my husband will be home due to his commute so the concept of being able to make a meal in the cold winter in one pot and then throwing a salad together is appealing. 

We have a BGE so in the warmer months and even on Christmas, we cook and or smoke meat. By we, I mean he does! 

Edited by MetsFan5 (log)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1