• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

SLB

SLB

On 11/1/2019 at 6:57 AM, weinoo said:

We frequent a local restaurant.

I'm hazarding a guess, but is this place an Alinea-style situation?  Does it not make a difference?  Obvs it matters that you're a *regular*; but does the genre of dining experience count in terms of when it's appropriate or not to ask for rye toast instead of the yucky bun?  

I've been to Alinea twice, and both times it was more of an immersive-art experience than a menu-type situation.  It just seems not really feasible to be working around all of those dishes every whichaway.  I realize that Weinoo said he doesn't go to restaurants for art; but nevertheless I think that's where they aim at Alinea.  

I would not say the same for Spotted Pig, for what that's worth.  Although I probably would not order a stylized bleu-cheese burger without the bleu cheese, myself.  In part because I'm kind of cheap, and wouldn't pay for a gastropub creation that I wasn't actually interested in.  

Which brings up an interesting question:  does one pay for the bleu cheese if you ask that it be withheld?  

SLB

SLB

I'm hazarding a guess, but is this place an Alinea-style situation?  Does it not make a difference?  Obvs it matters that you're a *regular*; but does the genre of dining experience count in terms of when it's appropriate or not to ask for rye toast instead of the yucky bun?  

I've been to Alinea twice, before-and-after, and both times it was more of an immersive-art experience than a menu-type situation.  It just seems not really feasible to be working around all of those dishes every whichaway.  I realize that Weinoo said he doesn't go to restaurants for art; but nevertheless I think that's where they aim at Alinea.  

I would not say the same for Spotted Pig, for what that's worth.  Although I probably would not order a stylized bleu-cheese burger without the bleu cheese, myself.  In part because I'm kind of cheap, and wouldn't pay for a gastropub creation that I wasn't actually interested in.  

Which brings up an interesting question:  does one pay for the bleu cheese if you ask that it be withheld?  

SLB

SLB

I've been to Alinea twice, before-and-after, and both times it was more of an immersive-art experience than a menu-type situation.  It just seems not really feasible to be working around all of those dishes every whichaway.  

SLB

SLB

I've been to Alinea twice, before-and-after, and both times it was more of an immersive-art experience than a menu-type situation.  It just seems not really feasible to be working around all of those dishes every whichaway.  

Which brings up an interesting question:  do you pay for the bleu cheese if you ask that it be withheld?  

SLB

SLB