• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

You Know You Want One! The Pacojet Junior

weinoo

This is a real mistery for me.

A good ice-cream machine plus a dedicated freezer cost much less than a Pacojet. For the vast majority of ice-creams it would be the best choice, an ice-cream made with a proper machine has a better texture (due to overrun) than one made with a Pacojet.

15 years ago there were limited choices for the immersion circulator and the costs were insane. Now there is much more choice and costs are pretty low. Pacojet still have almost no competition and the price is still insanely high.

Ok, there are some things that you can do only with a Pacojet, but they are limited to the modernist restaurants and they are a really small part within that style. Yet people continue to buy these machines. A mistery.

Teo

• Like 1

Teo

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

My friend had a Pacojet, but used it only rarely. The biggest problem with a PJ in a home environment is getting the material frozen cold enough.

Indeed.  If only I had a blast freezer!  ...oh, wait.

Now the question comes down to a choice of orange or blue.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Indeed.  If only I had a blast freezer!  ...oh, wait.

Now the question comes down to a choice of orange or blue.

You have a blast freezer?!

7 hours ago, chefmd said:

You have a blast freezer?!

I have a blast freezer on order.

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/159512-chocdoc-gambles-on-vegas/?do=findComment&comment=2215135

Black finish.  Thinking black would go well with orange.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

21 hours ago, KennethT said:

My friend had a Pacojet, but used it only rarely. The biggest problem with a PJ in a home environment is getting the material frozen cold enough.

Probably it was a problem of recipe balancement.
Home freezers should have no troubles in keeping a 0 F (-18° C) temperature. A correct professional recipe is hard at that temperature, so it's fine to run it in the Pacojet.
Seems like they were using home-based recipes, I mean recipes for ice-creams that remains scoopable at freezer temperature (around 0 F). If they used a recipe that was balanced for remaining scoopable at freezer temperature, then it's normal that it never got hard enough to be run in the Pacojet. They needed to start from recipes with a service temperature around 7-10 F, so they harden completely at 0 F.

Teo

• Like 1

Teo

13 hours ago, teonzo said:

Probably it was a problem of recipe balancement.
Home freezers should have no troubles in keeping a 0 F (-18° C) temperature. A correct professional recipe is hard at that temperature, so it's fine to run it in the Pacojet.
Seems like they were using home-based recipes, I mean recipes for ice-creams that remains scoopable at freezer temperature (around 0 F). If they used a recipe that was balanced for remaining scoopable at freezer temperature, then it's normal that it never got hard enough to be run in the Pacojet. They needed to start from recipes with a service temperature around 7-10 F, so they harden completely at 0 F.

Teo

I haven't discussed pacojet stuff in a long time, but if I remember correctly, Pacojet recommended that the freezer was at least -20F if not colder.  Most of his "ice creams" weren't desserts necessarily - he would make savory ones out of soups as well - so it wouldn't have been scoopable at 0.

• 3 months later...

Information on this product is rather hard to come by. How does it differ from the Pacojet1, Pacojet2, and Pacojet2 Plus?

Ok, so the Junior only does frozen products. Any other differences?

I'd love love love to have a Pacojet. But even $3,800 is difficult for me to justify for home use.

Interested in sugar free ice creams. Also, I like the convenience of just hard freezing the product, don't have to worry about freeze/thaw cycling or thawing for service.

• 8 months later...

Probably dumb questions, but could you use a Pacojet to make ice cream and then place it into a holding container and serve (i.e. be scoopable) from one of those ice cream parlour "cold desks"? I think those operate around -18C (at least some), though I wouldn't wonder if it's quite a bit less in reality and normal operation? But does Pacojet ice cream work well if served from that kind of temperature after it's been held there for whatever time? Can you make recipes in PJ that work in that kind of environment? The fine dining setup is different as @teonzo has talked, and one would likely be best served with a good freezer and a real ice cream machine, but if there's an opportunity to get a PJ on the cheap...