• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recipe sites that create shopping list for you

dans

I was having dinner with a friend tonight. We both lost our spouses recently and were discussing cooking and shopping. I have lots of experience cooking although it is difficult to get a meal prepped and cooked every night for myself. She has two boys that can do some cooking but they have difficulty getting a shopping list ready for any given recipe. I know there are recipe sites that will prepare a shopping list from a menu/recipe but my google-fu isn't working that well. Can anyone point me to some that I can refer her to.

TIA

This is more than what you are actually asking for, but there is a site called The Dinner Daily, which will shop the sales from your local grocery stores' flyers and prepare a meal plan and shopping list around those items. It's free for two weeks. But maybe you are looking for something both free and simpler!   🙂

The recipe site allrecipes.com creates shopping lists from the recipes. You can also toggle the feature on/off that shows what items are on sale at a local supermarket.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

9 hours ago, dans said:

I was having dinner with a friend tonight. We both lost our spouses recently and were discussing cooking and shopping. I have lots of experience cooking although it is difficult to get a meal prepped and cooked every night for myself. She has two boys that can do some cooking but they have difficulty getting a shopping list ready for any given recipe. I know there are recipe sites that will prepare a shopping list from a menu/recipe but my google-fu isn't working that well. Can anyone point me to some that I can refer her to.

TIA

After I was widowed I eventually settled into a routine of cooking an ordinary quantity (ie, 4-6 servings) whenever I cooked. I'd eat a portion that night, put one in the fridge, and the balance in single portions in the freezer. It takes just a couple of weeks to reach a point where you're able to maintain a "float" of varied meals in the freezer while cooking only once every 5 of 6 days.

For me it neatly solved the two main issues: I didn't need to adapt to cooking single-person quantities, and I didn't need to muster the time and resolve to come up with a meal every night.

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

T@dans I am so sorry for you and your friends loss 🙁 I am glad you have someone to lean on. 

Your question made made me very curious so I fired up a quick google search - I don’t know if you do “apps” (like phone or iPad) but I ran across an app called Spoonacular food companion ... it seems if you put a recipe website into the app - it will do many things for you -  among them - create a shopping list from the recipes / websites you input into the app (I’m not sure I’m making this clear) - but I believe it will do what you are seeking if I understand the app correctly. 

I have not used the app myself (though I may start 😀) - but it gets high ratings. I know it’s available in the iTunes Store, I’m not sure about Google Play or Amazon though I’m sure it’s easy enough to look. I hope this helps. 

Edited by CatIsHungry
Bold text - clarify name - and attempting clarity. (log)

I have an EpiPen ... my friend gave it to me when he was dying ... it seemed very important to him that I have it ... 

Genius Kitchen provides a "create a shopping list" option with its recipes.  (Here's an example that caught my eye.) Judging by this recipe, FoodNetwork.com recipes offer the same feature.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

If you use Eat Your Books for your cookbooks or online recipes, you can choose to add the ingredients to a shopping list. It looks like this, with the recipes names at the top and the ingredients sorted into categories below.  

You can print it or view it on your phone at the store.

8D250792-5739-44EB-821F-9B7C3BF03F80.thumb.jpeg.86fe613c84f50807378245f44e614ce3.jpeg

I don't believe there is any way to add other, non recipe items to the list so if you also need trash bags and a gallon of milk, you'd need another list. 

It's also not smart enough to know what's already in your pantry, but I'm often not that smart either!