• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Emeril

marcus

You wrote a NYT article a few years ago, which many of us remember very well, in which you criticized Emeril's television show and went on to criticize his background and abilities as a chef. However, a close reading of your article led me to believe that you may not have actually eaten at his New Orleans restaurant. I am interested in whether my interpretation is correct, and if so how you came to your opinion. Also, what are your views today.

hi marcus. you are right. i have never eaten at emeril's restaurants and i didn't claim to have in the article. i was critiquing his show and his books. i attended a taping of a show and tasted all the food that he cooked that day. one could argue that, because he's having to concentrate on the taping more than the cooking, it's unfair to criticize the food. however, the food wasn't bad because he overseasoned or undercooked it. it was just clunky, bad food. since then, i attended the taping of two episodes of mario batali's show. he cooked something like 4 dishes per show and served it to guests. every dish he made was as good, if not better, than anything i've had in his restaurants.

i have heard very good things about emeril's restaurants, but that doesn't mean that i have to agree with what he's teaching people on his show or in his books. he encourages excess -- especially with cheese and garlic -- and any decent cook knows that that is not what makes food delicious. there are other ways to be generous. good cooking involves sound technique and restraint.

i have heard very good things about emeril's restaurants, but that doesn't mean that i have to agree with what he's teaching people on his show or in his books. he encourages excess -- especially with cheese and garlic -- and any decent cook knows that that is not what makes food delicious. there are other ways to be generous. good cooking involves sound technique and restraint.

AMEN! This is what I'm always telling people who can't understand why I'm not a big Emeril fan. Thanks for summing it up so nicely.

Now I have a question which I'm going to bury in this thread since 1) it is kind of dopey and 2) you mentioned you attended the Mario tapings.

Who were the the others dining with you on that episode? I like to amuse myself by trying to figure out who Mario is feeding. I recognized you immediately and I *think* Dana Colwin from Food and Wine was the other woman. Who was the guy?