• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

American-Made Cheese Named World's Best

Toliver

"American-Made Cheese Named World's Best for the First Time Ever"

For the first time in the annual event’s history, an American-made cheese won the top spot at the World Cheese Awards.

Rogue River Blue Cheese, produced by Rogue Creamery in Southern Oregon, is an organic, cave-aged blue cheese that is wrapped in pear spirit-soaked Syrah grape leaves.

The Savencia Fromage & Dairy-owned creamery beat out some tough competition: More than 3,800 cheeses from 42 countries and 6 continents were evaluated by a panel of 260 judges in Bergamo, Italy this month.

The article goes on to say the French Press aren't very happy with the decision.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

8 minutes ago, kayb said:

I've had, and like, Rogue River blue. I don't remember the grape leaves wrap, though. Wonder if that was a special edition for the awards?

Gives me wonder what we. consumers, might do with a quality cheese.    Adding seasonings/wraps/aging...    Worth a few bucks worth of candidate cheeses and a little of our time?     Concept.

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

they are extraordinary cheeses made in the USA. 

many excellent ones in Vermont , NewHampshire , California , and I guess Oregon.

but to single out one cheese as best , well ,  misses the point ?

since when is a fantastic blue better than a Brie // Camembert ? 

and BTW

https://blythedalecheese.com/artisan-cheese/

is superb if you age the small wheels at home carefully.

still

Congratulations , Oregon !

@Margaret Pilgrim

reminda me of the Pub Cheese Days  while in college

inexpensive orange cheese 

mixed w port  etc.    

and its verify easy to make your own Boursin.  I used to do it 

https://www.boursin.com/products/

Hunger is a great motivator and equalizer 

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

Now, if only this wonderment could somehow spill over into the majority of American cheeses which some of us are not fond of.  Us being we cheese-proud Canucks for a start.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

superb if you age the small wheels at home carefully.

Excellent point.    We find that many/most cheese sellers offer cheeses too young.    We love Cowgirl's "Red Hawk" rind-washed cheese, but we try to buy it a month or so ahead of need since it is always green when we buy it, regardless of seller.    "Infanticide".  

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.

15 hours ago, Toliver said:

"American-Made Cheese Named World's Best for the First Time Ever"

The article goes on to say the French Press aren't very happy with the decision.

Amazon delivered a chunk of Rogue this morning.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Excellent point.    We find that many/most cheese sellers offer cheeses too young.    We love Cowgirl's "Red Hawk" rind-washed cheese, but we try to buy it a month or so ahead of need since it is always green when we buy it, regardless of seller.    "Infanticide".  

I remember when purchasing cheeses, including Red Hawk,  at the Cowgirl Creamery shop at the Ferry Building, I was asked when I planned on serving them and they selected specimens that would be ready.   I had a couple of parties in mind and they kindly separated the cheeses that I needed to set aside for the event that was a week later. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, kayb said:

I've had, and like, Rogue River blue. I don't remember the grape leaves wrap, though. Wonder if that was a special edition for the awards?

I wonder if the leaves are part of the initial aging and then are tossed out somewhere along the line, having imparted their "magic".

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver