• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Portable charcoal grill steak

nealc

Hi everyone

I'm looking for a portable charcoal grill that can sear steak well .. I have a traeger Silverton smoker and so having a grill able to smoke is nice it's not a big priority.  But the traeger doesn't sear very well.

So I've looked a bit into the kj Jr $400 and pk original ($400)/360 ($800). I do like the pk . But I'm not understanding what extra grill capabilities I'm getting. They're more expensive than just a regular Weber or eg those small rectangular $20 hd grills and so I'm not understanding what you're getting for all that extra money.  

Another second question is about grill grates.. I've seen claims that they are 100-200 degrees hotter than the grill but that seems physically impossible for something heated by the grill to be hotter than the heat source..

Any tips on charcoal grills or searing would be great!

Thanks

Neal

If searing a single steak is the goal, consider the Alton Brown method that uses a charcoal chimney. Cheap and hot as hell.

I get good results with a cheap kettle grill. They use a lot of charcoal just to get a quick sear, but I can't see any benefit to an expensive model.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Obligatory link:

• Like 2

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.