• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

I'll just add to @kayb's thoughtful inventory and say that I am much less generous. Except for the nuts, where we agree, I usually dole out ~ half of the amounts specified in her post. I believe Kay also brings something in every category (appetizer, bread, salad, side, main and dessert) to pot lucks ❤️ Edited to add that I may bring more than one dish but often just one!

Kay mentions half pint or pint jars.  I tend to go with the little 4 oz or half pints.

For cookies, I'd only do a full dozen of the smaller pressed cookies, otherwise a half dozen is more like it. Cookies would usually be the bulk of my baskets with several types included. 

I use little foil 5 3/4" x 3 1/4" loaf pans for fruit cake and quick bread or pound cakes.  I might include one fruitcake and 2 quick breads in a basket.  Maybe just one in a small basket. 

Not sure how I measure the nut brittles, usually a big, generous handful?

All that said, my baskets have usually gone to smaller families.  Often a couple, maybe a few kids. Small treats, not sustenance.  

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

I'll just add to @kayb's thoughtful inventory and say that I am much less generous. Except for the nuts, where we agree, I usually dole out ~ half of the amounts specified in her post. I believe Kay also brings something in every category (appetizer, bread, salad, side, main and dessert) to pot lucks ❤️

Kay mentions half pint or pint jars.  I tend to go with the little 4 oz or half pints.

For cookies, I'd only do a full dozen of the smaller pressed cookies, otherwise a half dozen is more like it. Cookies would usually be the bulk of my baskets with several types included. 

I use little foil 5 3/4" x 3 1/4" loaf pans for fruit cake and quick bread or pound cakes.  I might include one fruitcake and 2 quick breads in a basket.  Maybe just one in a small basket. 

Not sure how I measure the nut brittles, usually a big, generous handful?

All that said, my baskets have usually gone to smaller families.  Often a couple, maybe a few kids. Small treats, not sustenance.