• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2019 Holiday Cooking and Baking

andiesenji

I am hosting Christmas dinner.  The menu: prime standing rib roast with au jus (ordered from Heritage Foods), butternut squash and mushroom wellington for my sister and me as we do not eat red meat, twice baked potatoes, spinach gratin, roasted cauliflower, whiskey glazed carrots, homemade rolls.  My mother is bringing a pecan pie for dessert.

Christmas eve is unsettled.  We typically go to my in-laws, but my father in law is in the hospital presently as he had a bad fall two weeks ago and suffered a TBI.  My mother in law indicated yesterday that she wants to wait to get together until after he is out of the hospital/rehab, and given that he is scheduled for a second surgery today, the odds of him being home by Christmas are very remote.  So, I'll probably end up cooking that day too.

I also host on New Year's Day.  The only thing I know for certain so far is that I am roasting a large bone in ham as that is the preferred NY main for my parents, husband, niece and nephew.  I'll need a second main for this meal too as my sister and I don't eat ham either.  Neither does my husband's brother and he comes to New Year's dinner.  Last year I roasted a side of salmon and that went over well.  

• Like 5

I did some baking yesterday.  I'm not sure if I'll do any more.  At least I have a decent goodie bag for our wonderful UPS man.

Soft ginger

IMG_7205.JPG.a60811e8a8f4437b14d4a487e8da3296.JPG

Cream cheese

IMG_7206.JPG.5d155840cec9954b70f77a9fc3f75d6d.JPG

Tarted up brownies with peppermint patties

IMG_7207.JPG.bcd0c144b7692851312a07169182191e.JPG

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

This will be the first Christmas we've hosted for the entirety of our marriage, because it has always been another, more centrally-located family member who brought everyone together. The clan has scattered, and it will just be my darling, my sister and me. That said, it should be plenty for all: beef short ribs, carrot salad ("steaks") with bearnaise sauce and thyme, green beans with bacon (the only traditional family favorite to appear here), potatoes roasted in duck fat, bread of an as-yet-undetermined type, and passionfruit panna cotta. That's the dinner. I haven't decided yet for breakfast whether it will be something sensible or something decadent. Sensible options include yogurt, fruit salad, cereal and toast. Decadent options include sausage rolls (with thanks to @Shelby, @Kim Shook and @JohnT) or a King Arthur Flour Holiday Breakfast Strata that caught my eye. Since my sister will be visiting more than one day, I suppose we can spread the decadence out a bit. ;) 

• Like 7

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

19 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

Long ago before the internet, I occasionally made a German Christmas dessert called Stollen but stopped when I could not get cardamom any more. I was thinking about making it again and wondered if I could find all the stuff I needed to make it now that I am back in Kansas City. I looked all over for the almond paste.  Cassie used to get marzipan somewhere but I could not find it anywhere. Finally I went to a cake and candy bakers supply store way out on the old Santa Fe trail road.  The parking lot was full when I got there and it was busy inside. When I finally got to the cash register, the lady told me she didn't have any but Hen House grocery did.  That is a place I shop often and it's close. So yesterday I got everything I needed and today it has been snowing since before dawn and will still be snowing by dark so it's a good day for baking.  The recipe was for one big or two smaller loaves.  I made one big one and that was a mistake. By the time the inside was done, the edges were crunchy but it was still good. Charlie had seconds and it was better than I remembered.  Another thing I was thinking about was a cookie jar that got broken a long time ago and so I looked for it on ebay and found it.... so i had to make some cookies to fill it.  The jar is full and those are the cookies that won't fit.  We will have to eat those right away, I guess.  For dinner Charlie called Grub Hub and ordered from an Hawaiian restaurant. We had some pork and chicken plus some Spam grilled with teriyaki and wrapped with rice in some seaweed. 

0-1.jpeg

0-2-1.jpeg

0.jpeg

Norm, I've been looking at Stollen recipes and debating between Melissa Clark's version on the NYTimes or Alton Brown's version on the Food Network. I bet yours is better. Do you have a link to it?

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I have done ZERO baking this year.  I thought about baking stollen (there were years when I baked 4 dozen loaves for gifting) but can't seem to generate the necessary energy.

There were years when I baked at least a dozen different cookie recipes, panettone, and etc.

I have no plans for Christmas dinner as there will be just me and Aston, my Basenji dog (he would appreciate a treat but it doesn't look like that will happen either.

I have some rye dough in the fridge that I am going to let ferment for a few days and then mix with a pre-ferment and some sweet dough to make a version of the Swedish limpa rye that includes orange zest, caraway, anise and dark molasses.

• Like 7

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I've been elfing today.20191216_162547.thumb.jpg.14ad2c597379a2b418eb60b761d04b7a.jpg

Cashew brittle and mini-chocolate pound cake.

20191216_162553.thumb.jpg.8e5341561cb990dc2ac0c65d9f01ddd5.jpg

Chocolate fudge with pecans and almond brittle.

20191216_162608.thumb.jpg.7c9180f3ac2e50ef3386451c3d51d9e9.jpg

Peanut butter fudge and peanut brittle.

Tomorrow I'll do some more mini-cakes and/or quick breads,  some mini-cupcakes, maybe another batch or two of fudge (I'm thinking white chocolate peppermint, as I seem to have an abundance of white chocolate) and another big batch of Chex mix. Then I'll wait until after Christmas and make a few GF treats before the GF child and her family get here.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

46 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Ohhhhhhh recipe please?

This is the best, and easiest, thing in the world.

1 box yellow cake mix 

1 box instant chocolate pudding

3 eggs

2/3 cup vegetable oil

2/3 cup water

1 tsp vanilla

8 oz sour cream

12 oz mini chocolate chips

Mix the wet ingredients together, then add the cake mix and pudding. Fold in the sour cream (I used Greek yogurt, because I had it) and chocolate chips. Bake at 350 for 50 minutes if you're baking in a bundt pan. I baked this in one of those four mini-loaf pans, and it was too much; they had big muffin tops. Next batch, I'll make those four, and a couple of my mini-bundt.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Just now, kayb said:

This is the best, and easiest, thing in the world.

1 box yellow cake mix 

1 box instant chocolate pudding

3 eggs

2/3 cup vegetable oil

2/3 cup water

1 tsp vanilla

8 oz sour cream

12 oz mini chocolate chips

Mix the wet ingredients together, then add the cake mix and pudding. Fold in the sour cream (I used Greek yogurt, because I had it) and chocolate chips. Bake at 350 for 50 minutes if you're baking in a bundt pan. I baked this in one of those four mini-loaf pans, and it was too much; they had big muffin tops. Next batch, I'll make those four, and a couple of my mini-bundt.

I love this.  Easy is what I need.  Doing this.  Thank you!

I've been in the gifting it out mode It is really nice to have extra in terms of baked goods. Massive computer issue we couldn't resolve virtually so I got over there to IT and wow the smiles just for a little platter of homemades Quite rewarding. In passing mentioned some available to a "surrogate son" and he apologized for beng on a fishing trip with no cell and he'd send someone over asap! Oh the power of food. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

@jedovaty  Well it was either find the almond paste or find "finely ground blanched almond meal" and if I found that, I'd still have to make the paste.  The recipe also provided an alternative filling of butter, cinnamon and sugar and I almost used that. I am glad that I found the paste though because it tasted a lot better than the marzipan that Charlie's ex used on her cakes.

Making almond paste is not difficult with a food processor - if you first STEAM the almonds and remove the skins. I just steam them for about 15 minutes, dump them on a large terrycloth towel and fold it over to cover them and rub and the skins come right off.

I weigh them and dump them into the food processor and pulse several times till they are crumb size. Then I add sweet almond oil - 1 tablespoon to each 16 ounces and process till it begins to thicken. I then add powdered sugar in increments and pulse a few times after each addition until the paste is just slightly tacky.  The amount will vary with every batch because of the variation in the moisture and the oil in the almonds.  I feel and taste until it is the way I want it.  

Before food processors, I used to grind them in a meat grinder and mix by hand and it was a chore. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Ranch oyster crackers for Xmas goody bag gifts:

DSCN0485.JPG.b7af59e727bf9b8fe18fc4b48e26d268.JPG

Aunt San’s fudge (milk chocolate) and Reeses Cup fudge:

DSCN0486.JPG.4da960cd92f003c9daa4f2ab875d48f6.JPG

DSCN0487.JPG.33e214fc96ded3d406065267f56b4278.JPG

I am going to have to find a new peanut butter/chocolate fudge recipe.  I've been making this for years, but somehow the consistency has changed.   It is too sticky and gooey.  Very hard to serve.  It has to be ice cold and that is just not practical.  

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

I'm on the homestretch now, with a last two trays of brown-butter shortbread cookies in the oven. I have several dozen mini-loaves made ahead and frozen, and I don't even know anymore how many dozens of cookies. Today I begin assembling baskets for the neighbours here in our building, and then over the weekend I'll make up the ones for friends and immediate family. Each basket will contain a few mini-loaves and a selection of cookies. The ones for friends and family will get the "fancier" cookies, larger loaves made in 6-inch paper tube pans, and also some rum balls and chocolates if I can find the time.

I know nobody in our immediate circle has a drinking problem...I wouldn't give rum balls to anyone I didn't know just in case.

Last night my GF and I treated the kids from our building and the next building to a holiday cookie-decorating spree. There were sugar cookies and gingerbread cookies, homemade icing in bowls with spreaders, store-bought icing in squeeze tubes for details, all manner of sprinkles and decorations, plus crushed hard candy in various colors and Skittles and Smarties (like M&Ms but flatter). At peak I think we had 18 kids, most of them 8 and younger. It was a lot of fun for everyone, except perhaps the parents who had to put them to bed for school afterwards. :P

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

I know nobody in our immediate circle has a drinking problem...I wouldn't give rum balls to anyone I didn't know just in case.

Totally understand and agree.    So I have an additional question for you.    I have a Simone Beck chocolate cake recipe that.includes whiskey.    In your understanding, will, say, a quarter of a cup of booze in an 8 or 9" cake cook off during baking?      Our take is that it just isn't worth the risk for guests.     Yours?

eGullet member #80.

2 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Totally understand and agree.    So I have an additional question for you.    I have a Simone Beck chocolate cake recipe that.includes whiskey.    In your understanding, will, say, a quarter of a cup of booze in an 8 or 9" cake cook off during baking?      Our take is that it just isn't worth the risk for guests.     Yours?

I don't. The taste/smell can trigger. Not worth it in my opinion.

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Now that our Dungeness Crab fishery is open in both WA and OR, I've got more recipes to share.  I looked back in my archives and I first posted about this Dungeness Crab au Gratin here at eGullet many years ago.  Every year I make it I'm immediately transported back to when I was a kid and my Father made a similar dish he called Hot Dungeness Crab Dip.  But caution as this dish is really, really rich-crab, butter, cream, milk and cheese, yet it's so delicious.  After any leftovers cool overnight, it's even better.  And you can toss leftovers with pasta, macaroni or served on bread for breakfast!  We're lucky right now because the Holidays and first of the season crabs bring the prices down to between 5.99-7.99 a pound.

Dungeness Crab au Gratin.JPG

Dungeness Crab au Gratin-

Ingredients

For the Crab and Breadcrumbs-

2 1/2 cups fresh Dungeness crab meat Substitute any variety of crab

2 tbsp. chopped green onions

4-6 slices white bread, crusts cut off

2 tbsp. melted butter

For the Bechamel Sauce-makes 2 1/2 cups sauce

6 tbsp. butter

6 tbsp. all-purpose flour

1 1/2 cups whole milk

1 cup heavy cream

1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

1 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning

1/2 cup Shredded Italian cheese blend Substitute with Swiss or Gruyere cheese

2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice

dash of nutmeg

salt and black pepper to taste

For the Toasted Baguette Slices-

1 French baguette

4 tbsp. melted butter

Instructions

Make the toasted baguette slices-

Heat the oven to 375. Slice the baguette into 1/4" thick slices. Dip one side of each slice in the melted butter. Place the baguette slices on the cookie rack and bake until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes.

Crack the crab and make the breadcrumbs-

Crack the crab and place the meat in a large bowl and add the green onions. Place the shells in a plastic bag and freeze to use later in soups, stocks and sauces.

Cut the crusts off the slices of white bread. Break the bread into pieces and place in a food processor. Pulse the bread until it's broken into crumbs. Place the breadcrumbs in a bowl and drizzle in the melted butter, tossing to combine. Keep the breadcrumbs covered in the fridge for up to one week.

Make the bechamel sauce and bake the gratin-

Pour the milk and cream into a saucepan and heat over medium heat. In another saucepan, melt the butter. When the butter is melted, add the flour and stir. The flour will bind into the butter and start to bubble. Slowly add the warmed milk and cream to the flour and mixture, stirring to combine. Continue to add the milk and cream, stirring, to make a smooth, creamy sauce. Stir in the Worcestershire, Old Bay, cheese, lemon juice, nutmeg, salt, and pepper and stir again to combine.

Heat the oven to 375. Slowly pour the bechamel into the bowl with the crab and green onionsand gently toss to combine. You'll use about 2 cups of the bechamel sauce to make a thick-style casserole. Spoon the crab mixture into the casserole, then sprinkle the breadcrumbs on top. Bake the gratin in the oven for 25-30 minutes until the gratin is bubbling and the breadcrumbs are golden brown.

Serve the Dungeness Crab au Gratin hot from the casserole dish with the buttered baguette slices.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 4

@David Ross, you're making me thoroughly sorry that I'm nowhere near the West Coast and have no plans to get there this season!

• Like 2

I couldn't bring myself to do what I wanted to this morning for breakfast.  Use the crab and bechamel sauce to top a toasted English muffin.  Then add a poached egg and spoon over some Hollandaise.  I mean I knew how guilty I would feel and how my body would say both yes and no.  But I may indulge next week between Christmas and New Years.

• Like 2