• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

London food tour

stephen129

If you were to go on a food tour of London what kind of things would you want to eat? 

1. Only British food

2. Food that actual Londoners eat (I.e food from around the world, London is an incredibly diverse city after all)

3. 50/50 British/Global

4. 70/30 British/Global

5. 30/70 British/Global

Some background. I'm a lifelong Londoner. I'm considering running a food tour where I share my knowledge and take people to places around London to try various food. I initially thought I'd do option 5. mostly food that Londoners actually eat and some British food, because we are in Britain after all. Most of the non-British food is better anyway.

However after speaking to a friend, he suggested that tourists would actually just want to try foods that they can't get in their own countries, regardless of the fact that they may not be the best tasting.

Thoughts? Especially interested in the opinions of anyone who isn't from London who has been on a food tour in London, or would consider going on one.

Edited by stephen129 (log)

4 hours ago, stephen129 said:

5. 30/70 British/Global

My answer would be this. I would be interested in local food, but also would like to advantage of all the diversity (something we lack here).

But this answer just depends on each different person. I know people that would be interested only in local food, others that would steer really far from British food just for a dumb prejudice. So your best course of action would be asking in advance to the people you are going to guide, then plan accordingly to their tastes / needs. If you are going to offer your tours on a website, then you should offer the various possibilities, so you show that it's not "take this or shut up" and people have room for their tastes.

Teo

• Like 3

Teo

32 minutes ago, teonzo said:

My answer would be this. I would be interested in local food, but also would like to advantage of all the diversity (something we lack here).

But this answer just depends on each different person. I know people that would be interested only in local food, others that would steer really far from British food just for a dumb prejudice. So your best course of action would be asking in advance to the people you are going to guide, then plan accordingly to their tastes / needs. If you are going to offer your tours on a website, then you should offer the various possibilities, so you show that it's not "take this or shut up" and people have room for their tastes.

Teo

This would be my answer also...but then I live in East Central Ontario, not noted for its food or its diversity of cuisines.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

A couple of years ago I took a food tour in Nassau, Bahamas. All of it was food that was relevant to the culture. So mostly carribbean, but also Greek because there was a wave of settlers from there. So global as it relates to immigration/cultural impact, I suppose?

• Like 1

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

When we went to London, I know I wanted BRITISH FOOD - nothing else.  I knew that London was famous for its Indian food and that there are some great Italian restaurants and some really cool, inventive stuff from new, hot chefs.  The heck with all that.  I wanted fish and chips, a full English breakfast, pork pie, a roast dinner, afternoon tea, etc.  But that's me.  I think I'm agreeing with everyone else that you should be flexible.  Come up with a couple of different itineraries - one ultra traditional British/London, one with food based on the Empire and incoming immigrants influence and then maybe one that is the foodies' (for want of a better word) London - the cutting edge chefs.  Good luck.  Keep us informed, please.  We love seeing projects as they develop.  

• Like 3

Personally, being from NYC where we have a very diverse food scene, I would consider doing a tour of the "best of" London's British food...  so, for example, if you're going to take me to a fish n chips place, it should be one of the top examples of it.  I agree with @teonzo that it would be good to offer a few different tours - because tourists from places that might not have any Indian food would love to taste a great curry, but personally, I'd probably avoid it because I can get it from 3 different places around the corner from my apartment.

• Like 2