• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

An Undeserved Gift - Okra in The USA

liuzhou

Interesting article on the history of okra / gumbo in the southern USA.

Okra, not native to North America, arrived here at the same time enslaved Africans did. No one — no botanist, no historian — can confirm exactly how it got here. But it has connected Southerners across the lines of race, faith, and gender for centuries. Okra unites, in the gumbo pot and in our lives.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

43 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Okra unites, in the gumbo pot and in our lives.

Yep, we either love it or we hate it ——if that’s considered uniting……

Wait!. I just remembered — I’m not a Southerner. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Have never been a huge fan of okra in gumbo, though I won't pick it out, either. But I will eat all the fried okra you will put in front of me. As long as it's not that nasty batter-encased stuff from the freezer section of the supermarket.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com