• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Single Serve Coffee Not Nespresso or K-Cups

weinoo

So in my most recent shipment from Counter Culture, I was sent a sample.

rsmjAht.jpg?1

n2CRyxe.jpg?1

Uu8FUzT.jpg?1

This has beans roasted darker than the single origins I get from CC. It's got the right amount of coffee for an 8 oz. cup - right around 14 grams.

And I'm drinking it as I'm writing this post - not something I'd go out of my way for, but somewhat better than quite a few pour overs I've had at shops.  At $2 per, I won't be buying them, but I've been thinking about making my own version using empty tea bags, which are inexpensive. But nitrogen flushing and vacuum sealing them individually is beyond my current capabilities.

I also now realize that a normal size tea bag probably won't hold 14 grams of coffee.

If you can see the small print, they're being packaged in Scotts Valley, CA - which is on the road to Santa Cruz from San Jose, so a long way from Counter Culture's home. Especially if the coffee itself is coming from NC and then going back that way!

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I can remember some years back that Folger's made coffee bags like this. (I got a free sample.) It was Folger's coffee, so was exactly what you'd expect, but it made me wonder why more companies didn't make them. Yes, pricey, but no mess and no waste. We now have a Ninja that makes single cups (without pods), but for years, I'd throw out about 1/3 pot of coffee that we didn't finish.

Deb

Liberty, MO

20 hours ago, weinoo said:

I've been thinking about making my own version using empty tea bags, which are inexpensive. But nitrogen flushing and vacuum sealing them individually is beyond my current capabilities.

You could prepare many bags, freeze them, store them in an airtight box, then pick up 1 or more when needed.

20 hours ago, weinoo said:

I also now realize that a normal size tea bag probably won't hold 14 grams of coffee.

Prepare 7 g bags, so if you want a 4 oz cup you use 1 bag, if you want a 8 oz cup you use 2 bags. Or 10 g bag for a 6 oz cup, whatever.

Teo

Teo

I held off getting a Keurig for years because I didn't want to tie myself to pods (clogging the waste stream, not to mention the damn things are pricy, and what if you run out?). But when I learned one could get refillable cups and I could use my ground-at-home coffee I've used for  years, I was off and running.

A Keurig cup made from my Brazil Estate beans from Cafe Brazil in Dallas is the best cup of coffee I've ever made at home. My French press with the same coffee gets close. Coffee snobs' mileage may, of course, vary; my tongue just isn't that sensitive.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Kinda hard to take a Keurig along on a trip, though.

Anyway, I received the empty tea bags, and they are large enough to hold 4 grams easily.  My first experiment, however, was quickly poured down the drain.  

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Last year I got some samples of Steeped Coffee. Some of the varieties were pretty good, others pretty much  "meh" not a lot of flavor.

Probably okay for people who aren't real coffee fanatics.

• Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

12 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Have you played with  finer grind maybe?

I'm pretty sure I'm using a fine enough grind.

7 hours ago, andiesenji said:

Last year I got some samples of Steeped Coffee. Some of the varieties were pretty good, others pretty much  "meh" not a lot of flavor.

Probably okay for people who aren't real coffee fanatics.

These are the same people who package for Counter Culture.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Now that I think about it - I'm wondering if, counter-intuitively, the grind should be a little more along the lines of the grind for French press - where the coffee is steeped in the hot water before removing the grounds. Wouldn't this allow the water to get into all the nooks and crannies more easily?

That's gonna be my next experiment.

Tasty Travails - My Blog