• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

jedovaty

jedovaty

33 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

@jedovaty Thanks for sharing the above information.  I have wheat berries in the freezer at the moment and want to make some pitas in the next few days.  Can you share your grinding technique for making the berries into flour for pitas?  Thanks.

I used to only grind about a cup of berries at a time (150-200g), since I hadn't had a need for more.  You just put the frozen berries in, start on low, rotate to max.  Let it run maybe 45-60 seconds.  If you have the dry container, you may need to let it run a little longer.  You can sift if you like; using the #40 from breadtopia will give you about 80-85% extraction.  My vitamix is a ~9 year old 5200, looks like the new models are a bit different cosemtically, so results may be different?

jedovaty

jedovaty

16 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

@jedovaty Thanks for sharing the above information.  I have wheat berries in the freezer at the moment and want to make some pitas in the next few days.  Can you share your grinding technique for making the berries into flour for pitas?  Thanks.

I used to only grind about a cup of berries at a time (150-200g), since I hadn't had a need for more.  You just put the frozen berries in, start on low, rotate to max.  Let it run maybe 45-60 seconds.  If you have the dry container, you may need to let it run a little longer.  You can sift if you like.  My vitamix is a ~9 year old 5200, looks like the new models are a bit different cosemtically, so results may be different?