• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Please note that revisions older than -1 days are pruned and will no longer show here
jmacnaughtan

jmacnaughtan

30 minutes ago, keychris said:

Leaf gelatine should give you a very clear jelly.

I honestly don't think that a phone has enough vibration to make a jelly wobble back and forward, I feel like the frequency is too high, I have no proof other than a gut feeling!

I think you're right - maybe if it was an extremely hard-set jelly in a thin layer. I imagine something along the lines of a slow, steady pulse would work.

ETA: Steve Mould looks at the resonating frequency of a water balloon here, and it's really slow. I imagine jelly would be at least fairly similar.

jmacnaughtan

jmacnaughtan

28 minutes ago, keychris said:

Leaf gelatine should give you a very clear jelly.

I honestly don't think that a phone has enough vibration to make a jelly wobble back and forward, I feel like the frequency is too high, I have no proof other than a gut feeling!

I think you're right - maybe if it was an extremely hard-set jelly in a thin layer. I imagine something along the lines of a slow, steady pulse would work.

• Similar Content

• By artiesel
      Does anyone know if using a high-protein flour, rather than AP flour, in a quickbread formula could create a gummy texture as a result of the protein slightly developing as it absorbs water?

I was attempting to reduce water activity in the formula by using flour with 14% protein rather than 8-10% protein. Am I out in left field on this one?
    • By Douglas K
      I made my fifth ever batch of chocolate over the weekend, a 45% milk chocolate. I did the usual warming of everything, and the batch started off without a hitch. After running 24 hours I got ready to cool the chocolate to temper, and the stone seemed awfully hot. Sure enough the chocolate was 147 degrees F. Normally it comes out at around 120. The chocolate seemed kind of thick, but this is my first batch as low as 45%, so not sure if that’s normal. The chocolate tempered just fine, and tastes fine for have gotten so hot. I’m wondering if I got a minuscule amount of water in the batch? I’m not sure how that would have happened, though thinking of everything ad nauseum I can think of possibilities. The ingredients themselves are all ones I’ve used before without issue, though first time with the roasted nibs, but they came from the same reliable source as all my other nibs. Just curious if anyone else has seen this happen.
    • By Wisper
      Hi, 

I need to make portions of exactly 12g (=0.423oz) of truffle ganache. 
      These truffles will be packed in a cardboard box with the total weight written on the package - so I cannot mess up... 

What solutions do you have to control the weight of the ganache for truffles?
      I tried to measure them on the scale but it's time consuming and not very reliable... 

I bought a silicone mould - the cavities are too small and the ganache seems to stick to the mould.

Have you tried to make your own shells for truffles?
      It's not very clear how many cm in the mould will translate in how many grams in the product....

any suggestion will be appreciated.
    • By Paullie
      Hi all,

Hopefully someone can help me with this?

I really enjoy making tartalettes of sorts. When baking the dough rises a lot meaning that there is not really a lot of space to fill with something nice.
      I am using glutenfree flour (Peak's All Purpose) and have tried blind baking them. But from my first blind baking try, it seems that the bottom stays raw. Have put it back in the oven 'unblinded' (can i use this term? :)) but still its not the way i want it.

Could sure use some tips on how to get these tartalettes nice and thin.
      Thanks in advance to anyone who tries to help, i appreciate it.

regards
    • By sartoric
      About two weeks ago I made a jar of oranges in brandy.  I think the seal is bad and the fruit has started fermenting. There’s a few bubbles and a slightly sour smell, the taste is still sweet.

The oranges were off our tree (no spray) and it’s a simple no cook recipe that calls for sugar, brandy and spices. The jar was sterilised. 

What would you do ? Is there a way to rescue them, are they still safe to eat ?
      Any advice will be much appreciated.