• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Nn, M.D.

Nn, M.D.

5 hours ago, heidih said:

OK I will be the idiot (my Dean says yes you are)  If something does not speak taste wise  - let it go - I tried once with a mild squash with phyllo - but

.but no culinary go to

I know what you mean. I recently grilled some delicata squash and although there was some caramelized sweetness going on, there was a lot of savory overtone that I think would not work in dessert applications. But pumpkin is a little sweeter naturally, and the addition of spices, particularly nutmeg and cloves, help to bring out the natural sweetness. Brown sugar and orange are both slightly acidic as well, and that sharpness when paired with the earthiness of the pumpkin makes it taste balanced.

Nn, M.D.

Nn, M.D.

3 hours ago, heidih said:

OK I will be the idiot (my Dean says yes you are)  If something does not speak taste wise  - let it go - I tried once with a mild squash with phyllo - but

.but no culinary go to

I know what you mean. I recently grilled some delicate squash and although there was some caramelized sweetness going on, there was a lot of savory overtone that I think would not work in dessert applications. But pumpkin is a little sweeter naturally, and the addition of spices, particularly nutmeg and cloves, help to bring out the natural sweetness. Brown sugar and orange are both slightly acidic as well, and that sharpness when paired with the earthiness of the pumpkin makes it taste balanced.