• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocdoc Takes Her Day job to Ottawa

Kerry Beal

Dinner tonight will be at Play Food and Wine - a small plates place owned by the owner of Beckta here in Ottawa

15A9AD79-B27E-495F-AFDA-4EB668CCBA0A.thumb.jpeg.e75bce07a7e6dd975b31e296dce7bc71.jpeg

Realized they had more than wine and showed Nigel the bar tender the Imbibe recipe for a Maximilian Affair.

7C1DD05C-419E-42D9-A56C-659604C3A7AA.thumb.jpeg.d7ff29f005d0ed932d022352e7cefecc.jpeg

perused the menu - awaiting my first dish - the duck and pork terrine 

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Realized they had more than wine and showed Nigel the bar tender the Imbibe recipe for a Maximilian Affair.

Oh so jealous I am.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Just now, Kerry Beal said:

It might get worse. I did choose the gnocchi over the scallops however!

Sad I am. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

4 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Fortunately I’m only about 200 m from my hotel. I am teaching the bartender several new drinks. Brothers Perryman 

If you end up drunk and disorderly I do hope you post a selfie. It will be the least you can do after tormenting us with these drinks. And SOME of this food. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 10

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, Anna N said:

If you end up drunk and disorderly I do hope you post a selfie. It will be the least you can do after tormenting us with these drinks. And SOME of this food. 

I’ll do my best if I’m sober enough!

• Haha 4

So I saw a plate of what looked like tater tots going to a table (I’m sitting at the bar). Nigel thought it was the gnocchi but when he brought the gnocchi I told him that wasn’t what I saw. He said - must be the cauliflower tempura.

image.thumb.jpg.68f0ca439b033b75e28efeb97ac6d603.jpg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

I'm not able to comment on or make comparisons to a real banger, doesn't fall within my range of sausage experience. Breakfast sausage, bratwurst, andouille, a few others, we could have a solid discussion... but as far as I know, I've never had a real banger.

and you'd know!

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Shelby said:

Yeah, there were so many inappropriate jokes there....'twas hard for me, but I refrained.

You are a better person than me. lol.

I think banger is just English for sausage. Any kind.

Edited by demiglace (log)
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Yeah, there were so many inappropriate jokes there....'twas hard for me, but I refrained.

Remind me to take a pic of what I picked up at the clinic today - speaking of not refraining!

• Haha 3

52 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I'm repeating to myself:

"Thou shalt not covet thy EGullet's friends' food"

Isn't that basically the whole point of food photos?

• Haha 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Remind me to take a pic of what I picked up at the clinic today - speaking of not refraining!

I'm afraid to see what you might have picked up...…….

• Haha 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites