• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocdoc Takes Her Day job to Ottawa

Kerry Beal

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Lunch at the Westin

Looks like fuel for those who eat to live; not food for those who live to eat. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Lunch at the Westin...

pitched the Philly steak and got another grilled cheese 

Anything labelled "Philly Steak" ...isn't.🤨

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Are the lights out where you are?  We are only a couple of kms. west of where you are and the lights are on here.  You can probably see our place from your window.

That afternoon spread looked pretty good, except for the hummus.

• Like 3

Had @Anna N looking up ideas for dinner for us. She came up with Thali Coconut Lagoon. So Karen, one of my fellow examiners, a doctor from Goose Bay, Labrador and I hopped in an Uber (her first) and headed off.

IMG_8436.thumb.jpg.a8efa4ab108da148bdd5f4953e5d8516.jpg

Cider from Picton, Ontario (a big apple area), glass of house red for Karen.

IMG_8438.thumb.jpg.b80f007fd3c01fdb2793fc7c3aa3ebc5.jpg

Chai

IMG_8439.thumb.jpg.0086bff83ebd78f7b7ac89bc049b619d.jpg

Vegetable bhagi with mint chutney

IMG_8440.thumb.jpg.ea0f63fc20a704334f29e4dd79155727.jpg

We each had a lamb thali - I think we could have shared one and still been stuffed!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ElsieD said:

Are the lights out where you are?  We are only a couple of kms. west of where you are and the lights are on here.  You can probably see our place from your window.

That afternoon spread looked pretty good, except for the hummus.

Mine seem to be on. Head outside and wave - I'll look out the window!

• Haha 3

We're on the wrong side of the building to be able to wave otherwise I would flash some lights to say hi.  We face west.  If you see a tall building with what looks like an M on the roof, that's us.  We are at Island Park and Scott if you remember those streets, in a section of the city called Westboro.  How long are you here for?  If you are here tomorrow night you might want to check out Beckta for dinner or Atelier.  Both are very good.  Beckta is on Elgin Street spitting distance from your hotel while Altelier is a short cab ride.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

We're on the wrong side of the building to be able to wave otherwise I would flash some lights to say hi.  We face west.  If you see a tall building with what looks like an M on the roof, that's us.  We are at Island Park and Scott if you remember those streets, in a section of the city called Westboro.  How long are you here for?  If you are here tomorrow night you might want to check out Beckta for dinner or Atelier.  Both are very good.  Beckta is on Elgin Street spitting distance from your hotel while Altelier is a short cab ride.

Here until Monday. Shall have a look at those dinner options - need to determine who will join me for dinner tomorrow.

11 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_8424.thumb.jpg.7744dc717eba06a0647b12d16f411554.jpg

While the cheese looks fine, and that's quite a nice hand/arm as well, the crudité platter with raw broccoli, cauliflower and carrots is the bane of every buffet and dinner party since the first one was put out sometime early in the 1960s!

Blanch the stuff, willya?!

• Like 6

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

Blanch the stuff, willya?!

Could not agree more. Once I learned this trick I actually ended up liking these platters. Raw broccoli? No no no no no. Raw cauliflower? No no no no no. Doesn’t do anything for me or for the vegetables. 

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

57 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Breakfast at the exam center

I have seen worse. I just think everybody needs to reconsider whether bacon and eggs are the most appropriate thing to serve under these circumstances!  That’s just my humble opinion. 

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

12 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Here until Monday. Shall have a look at those dinner options - need to determine who will join me for dinner tomorrow.

Too bad we are away all day or we could get together for dinner.  We are at the family annual bocce tournament and won't be back in time.

35 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Too bad we are away all day or we could get together for dinner.  We are at the family annual bocce tournament and won't be back in time.

Bocce ball - something I haven’t seen for a few years!

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

I have seen worse. I just think everybody needs to reconsider whether bacon and eggs are the most appropriate thing to serve under these circumstances!  That’s just my humble opinion. 

Sure they are. I dispute only the absence of a nice pork sausage.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Sure they are. I dispute only the absence of a nice pork sausage.

They were there. I failed to take their picture. Although I might dispute them being nice pork sausages

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

IMG_8466.thumb.jpg.fea14ab1e6ae8f1b5ab37c9e507407c2.jpg

Sun starting to go down behind the parliament buildings. 

Heading out for dinner shortly - at @Anna N's suggestion two of us are going to try a restaurant called the Courtyard which is in the Byward Market. We stopped in on our way back from the center and got a reservation for the only table possible at the time we chose. Don't think we would have gotten it if we had called.

• Like 9

6 hours ago, gfweb said:

I dispute only the absence of a nice pork sausage

In my personal experience, that's an absence not unique to the picture. With the disclaimer that I haven't had breakfast sausage everywhere in Canada that serves it, I have yet to encounter what I consider a good breakfast sausage that I didn't make myself. Underwhelmingly bland little links of disappointment seems to be the general theme.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

2 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

In my personal experience, that's an absence not unique to the picture. With the disclaimer that I haven't had breakfast sausage everywhere in Canada that serves it, I have yet to encounter what I consider a good breakfast sausage that I didn't make myself. Underwhelmingly bland little links of disappointment seems to be the general theme.

I’d have imagined Canada to be brimming with sausages of all sorts. Huh

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I’d have imagined Canada to be brimming with sausages of all sorts. Huh

As I imagine Germany to be!

• Like 3