• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ginger: Fresh-Frozen

rotuts

Ive been freezing fresh , un-peeled ginger for some time.

I used to use a plastic shopping bag , and then just grated off the freezer-burnt end

discarded that , then grated the freshly exposed end for use.

I now chamber-vac the ginger , unpeeled , but with the little projections cut off

which makes for a smoother surface for Vac'ing

I now also slice thin // thick bits off , rather than always grate   but its not that easy

I now do it this way , which protects my finger tips , as the Fz ginger can march all around

the cutting board.

materials :

G2.thumb.jpg.1d92dac7fa8fec4e083a58becbd77d43.jpg

inexpensive chinese cleaver , SS.  HOmeDepot mallet 

G1.thumb.jpg.cc45b155c3cceb7cdf594279a8178735.jpg

Ginger has a flat side from previous use , and that goes on the board to make a stable hunk of ginger

very very useful to start this way.

G3.thumb.jpg.e9a2d7be0bef5038f300e61177077b6e.jpg

hold the cleaver on the ginger's business end , and lightly tap w the cleaver to get some ' purchase ' in the ginger

G4.thumb.jpg.0252c63dfd1521a6d7376ebcdc986b37.jpg

then tap away !

as you lightly tap , you can sort of control the thickness by turning the cleaver into the ginger for a tap or two , giving you a thicker slice

or turn the cleaver toward the cut end for a thiner slice.  don't be in any hurry , and you will be pleased w the results

G5.thumb.jpg.d250b368b6b80325c300640fe927478b.jpg

as will your finger tips.

i then re-bag the ginger in the same bag that is now a little smaller from cutting off the top

and Vac again

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

a P.S.:  if you live near a Chinatown , or a large Chinese Market , look for these

stainless steel Chinese cleavers.

they come in a variety of sizes , this one is 

CC.thumb.jpg.17b8c23da2242fba29f00e3ea39f1014.jpg

is a # 3      blade is 8 " x 3.5 "

I use it for coarser work ,, frequently w the mallet , for control  and never worry too much about the edge.

inexpensive  

• Like 3

• 1 month later...