• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Costco

Toliver

My mom used to make boerenkool stamppot and I loved it.  This is a cooked Dutch dish, made with kale and potatoes, usually eaten with smoked sausage.  I don't get raw kale, and have no desire to ever eat it.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

Honestly, I think it takes 4 stomachs to ruminate stupid kale.

😂😂😂

On a more serious note, I began to wonder if people who can successfully masticate kale really have saliva that is different. Like super tasters could there be super salivaters? People whose saliva contains more of some chemical, than the rest of us. 
The salad kit that was recommended to me is a Taylor Farms brand. Don’t know if it is the same as that sold by Costco.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, lemniscate said:

Honestly, I think it takes 4 stomachs to ruminate stupid kale.

Assuming you can bring yourself to swallow it.

• Haha 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I use instakart a lot, and one time I ordered  frozen spinach.Apparently there was none so the instakart shopper substituted a frozen medly with spinach, kale , and chickpeas.   I gave it  to a vegan I knew.  Had I eaten any of it, they would have heard me in Longport (the far end of the next island down from Brigantine  Island) and the weather bureau would have been issuing air quality alerts.

I'm also more careful now to specify "no exchanges" on my instacart orders.

• Like 3

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, weinoo said:

I'm somewhat happy that I've never had a Costco chicken.

https://www.mashed.com/270975/the-one-ingredient-in-costcos-rotisserie-chicken-you-should-be-wary-of/

That's not an especially worthy source, as these things go (I declined an offer to write for them because they're so clickbait-y). Yes, high levels of phosphates can result in renal issues (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3278747/ ) but the likelihood of an occasional Costco chicken causing kidney failure is pretty damned low. And FWIW, phosphate deficiency can also cause problems (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3402077/ ) so make of that what you will.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

interesting 

https://www.foodsafetynews.com/2021/12/crs-main-worry-about-costcos-rotisserie-chicken-is-the-load-of-sodium/

wonder what the sodium load would be 

in any fresh chicken personally brined at home night be

using ' conventional ' at home bringing methods

or :

ATK et. al.   never thought about that

however , the above ref states :

'''   sodium-intake that can race hearts ''

wow .  serious news to me .  

which is not to suggest the sodium levels in the artcle

are inaccurate .   

still interested in a home-brined Ck  sodium level 

then again , there is the long term effects of

taking that second breath in  ( City of your choice here )

P.S. :found this :

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/cooksillustrated/how_tos/8474-how-much-sodium-is-in-brined-food

hopefully accurate  TBD

commercial levels of sodium are what they are

as your tongue  has gotten used to those levels

decreasing those levels would destroy the bottom line

still , Id enjoy a couple of Costco chickens 

if they showed up on my doorstep

just now .  still warm.

Edited by rotuts (log)

Huh.  I thought a site with a name like foodsafetynews.com would somehow expand, or drill down on a Consumer Reports article.  But it just uses it as a source.

That doesn't change anything, but I just found it odd.

7 hours ago, weinoo said:

Glad you read that article; I didn't.  

However, I have to think that there's a shit ton of sodium in a Costco roasted chicken; otherwise, how does it stay so juicy?

I'd have to go back and reread the article, but I was surprised that (as I read it) the sodium level in a Costco chicken was not that excessive.    i.e., not sufficient to be considered unhealthful.

eGullet member #80.

Just now, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I'd have to go back and reread the article, but I was surprised that (as I read it) the sodium level in a Costco chicken was not that excessive.    i.e., not sufficient to be considered unhealthful.

I don't particularly care for the term "unhealthful" - its relative. But if I use dad and his wife's carcass (chicken not human!) for stock. I rarely have to add more salt.

8 hours ago, weinoo said:

Glad you read that article; I didn't.  

However, I have to think that there's a shit ton of sodium in a Costco roasted chicken; otherwise, how does it stay so juicy?

https://www.mynetdiary.com/food/calories-in-rotisserie-chicken-by-costco-serving-32145186-0.html

you are right.  1200 to 1500 mg recommend by health people

Edited by Okanagancook (log)

1 hour ago, heidih said:

I don't particularly care for the term "unhealthful" - its relative. But if I use dad and his wife's carcass (chicken not human!) for stock. I rarely have to add more salt.

One emoji response isn’t enough. ”… the term unhealthful” gets an EG like heart. “Dad and his wife’s carcass (chicken not human!)” 🤣🤣🤣 

• Haha 2

Sorry to have started such a firestorm.   I thought I was simply using standard jargon re "unhealthful", as in EPA air qualities. But I see that they too have gone to "unhealthy".  

Showing my age, I remember being taught in first grade that unhealthy referred to the condition of an organism, while unhealthful qualified something that affected an organism.    But words change in meaning.

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.

8 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

My celiac friend can eat Costco chicken because the seasoning is gluten free according the the label.   That makes her and and other celiacs very happy.   No digestive issues reported.

As long as we're not talking about a flour fried chicken, I'm curious as to what seasonings would not be gluten free.  Especially in a rotisserie chicken.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IndyRob said:

As long as we're not talking about a flour fried chicken, I'm curious as to what seasonings would not be gluten free.  Especially in a rotisserie chicken.

I guess type of starch?   I'm not celiac, but I guess Costco is one of the few that uses non-gluten starches in the spices mix, according to my friend.

Screen Shot 2023-07-07 at 7.01.06 PM.png

Edited by lemniscate (log)

2 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Sorry to have started such a firestorm.   I thought I was simply using standard jargon re "unhealthful", as in EPA air qualities. But I see that they too have gone to "unhealthy".  

Showing my age, I remember being taught in first grade that unhealthy referred to the condition of an organism, while unhealthful qualified something that affected an organism.    But words change in meaning.

I see what you mean, but the historical record shows otherwise. Both meanings seem to  have arisen together. In fact, the "something that affected an organism" is recorded first (1585), a mere 16 years before the "the condition of an organism" meaning.

1595 in Hakluyt Voy. (1600) III. 587 The towne was situated in a waterie soile,‥very vnhealthy as any place in the Indies. 

1611 Cotgr., Mal-sain,‥sicklie, crazie, vnhealthie

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

One way around the salt and the potential dangers of sodium phosphate- don't eat the skin.  The dark meat needs to be cooked a bit longer, but the done-ness of the white meat is flawless- every time. Even if you only eat the white meat, it ends up costing around $2.50/lb, which is pretty crazy for cooked white meat.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scott123 said:

One way around the salt and the potential dangers of sodium phosphate- don't eat the skin.  The dark meat needs to be cooked a bit longer, but the done-ness of the white meat is flawless- every time. Even if you only eat the white meat, it ends up costing around $2.50/lb, which is pretty crazy for cooked white meat.

I'm pretty sure they inject the chicken with the brine, as opposed to just letting the chicken rest in a brine for like 24 hours.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I'm fairly certain that the rotisserie chickens that are not sold by the end of that day, get the meat pulled to use in their prepared meals that they sell there at Costco. (Husband worked for them for a few months when he first retired.) I'd ask him, but dementia has likely wiped those memories.) So, if you buy their prepared meals with chicken and are watching your sodium, it is likely to be high in those meals, too. Just saying.

I'm also in the never-had-a-Costco-rotisserie-chicken-or-prepared-meal camp.

Deb

Liberty, MO

Never been to Costco but here's the nutrition data from a rotisserie chicken that I picked up recently from my local Walmart Neighborhood Market.

No sodium phosphate listed.  It doesn't claim to be gluten-free but doesn't list any obviously gluten-containing ingredients. 

2ED8525E-C016-45E8-A5CA-C1D4578E5361_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.35cc5ee499032c3620cdec1ee32b0c48.jpeg

The serving size is the same 3 oz as listed for the Costco bird. The 8 servings per container makes me chuckle when I imagine putting one of these little guys down in front of 8 people!

The sodium content is listed at 250 mg/serving vs Costco's 460 mg/serving as cited in the article @rotuts linked to.  

3E786E23-0F82-426E-B477-66BA6EBF2013_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.004b5f7fdfa7fe04606d65ee3907cb66.jpeg

I haven't had one of these in a very long time.  I recall them being salty but this one tasted less seasoned than chickens I dry-brine and roast myself.  I didn't taste the skin.  That was crisped, chopped and used as gourmet cat food topping 🙃

• Like 3

I entertain myself with seeing how many meals for two I can gin up from a rottissererie chicken. My record is five, plus six pints of stock.

• Like 7

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com