• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Costco

Toliver

15 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

@jimb0

https://www.supplementking.ca/catalog/product/view/id/4972/s/zeroodle-premium-shirataki-fettuccine-with-oat-fiber-400g-zeroodle012

I used to buy these a lot when we were dropping a few pounds.  The composition look to be the same as the ones you linked to.   I have never seen them at Costco though, have you?

zeroodle rebranded so they are probably identical unless they messed with the formula during the rebrand 

i’ve never looked for them at costco but i don’t really shop there often either. i just buy them from amazon. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, ElsieD said:

@jimb0

https://www.supplementking.ca/catalog/product/view/id/4972/s/zeroodle-premium-shirataki-fettuccine-with-oat-fiber-400g-zeroodle012

I used to buy these a lot when we were dropping a few pounds.  The composition look to be the same as the ones you linked to.   I have never seen them at Costco though, have you?

how was the texture compared to traditional wheat noodles?

20 hours ago, Vapre said:

they're not really anything alike. konjac noodles are a bit more chewy; some can be kind of rubbery. think of rice noodles and how stretchy they can be. it's not the same thing, but it's a lot closer. imo using them in place of wheat noodles leads to disappointment. they're not bad as rice noodle replacements in something that accompanies a fatty sauce, though.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Vapre said:

I agree with what @jimb0 said.  We used them in stir fries calling for noodles or anything saucy and for that they were fine.  For us when we were losing weight they were a great alternative to wheat pasta. They also make "rice" out of Konjac which we did not care for.  It was like eating little rubber pellets.

• Like 1

yeah they became a permanent part of my pantry when i stopped eating a bunch of carbs. i agree on the rice; it was...okay...in a sort of salad-y type situation, like with fresh veg, olives, oil, salt, and vinegar, etc., but i don't plan on buying them again. i tend to stick with the spaghetti analogs since they're sufficiently versatile for my use

34 minutes ago, jimb0 said:

yeah they became a permanent part of my pantry when i stopped eating a bunch of carbs. i agree on the rice; it was...okay...in a sort of salad-y type situation, like with fresh veg, olives, oil, salt, and vinegar, etc., but i don't plan on buying them again. i tend to stick with the spaghetti analogs since they're sufficiently versatile for my use

I ended up using fettuccine the most.

• 1 month later...

"Costco Just Added A Brand New Food Court Menu Item Here"

No, it's not a Polish Dog (which is no longer sold at Costco Food Courts).

No, it's not the BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich (which is no longer sold at Costco Food Courts).

No, it's not the Combo Pizza (which is no longer sold at Costco Food Courts during the Pandemic*).

*I am hoping it will return after the Pandemic is over but won't hold my breath.

A Crispy Chicken Sandwich has been spotted on the food court menu at a Costco in Canada!

Sadly, the sandwich has no pickles which makes me wonder what they're thinking.

I suppose you could always sneak over to the hot dog relish dispenser if you need that little extra zing on your chicken sandwich.¬¬

• Haha 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 4 weeks later...

From USA Today:

"Costco says free samples and food courts will fully return by June"

The retailer revealed during its third quarter earnings call it will bring back full sampling as well as its food court and seating, in another sign of the U.S. slowly shifting toward normal amid the COVID-19 pandemic."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 7 months later...

I don't normally buy any prepared entrees at Costco, except the rotisserie chicken.

They were demo-ing these lamb shanks and I made the mistake of going Costco shopping hungry.  Lamb is not high on my protein list, but the Household holds it in high regard.   My sample was superb.  I submitted to the siren call.

These are very good, lots of meat on the shanks, in our usage = 2 people 1 shank is a good meal.  The sauce is great, there are the tiny fig seeds in it.   Not cheap, ~$24 per lb.; each shank is pre-bagged so could be reheated sous vide.  I used microwave method and it was very good.   Any leftover sauce I'm saving for use in other dishes.  Bones will go for a stock.

Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 7.04.48 AM.png

Edited by lemniscate (log)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Usually love Costco but right now in Australia our government has sold out and demanding everyone get sick for the economy. ANYWAY Costco (like every other grocery store) is experiencing stocking issues so they were out of lots of usual things we get as everyone rushes to purchase a life time supply of anything they find. 

most of the fresh meat was gone, chicken was obliterated including the pre made butter chicken . The Kirkland dishwasher tablets gone (actually most Kirkland branded cleaning products where gone), the vegetables  where well hammered and lots of the dried noodle packets where gone although they hadn’t been murdered like lots of other things. 

they did however reconfigure the isle for toilet paper it was now 3 brands stacked as high as I am tall in some areas and about 2 wooden pallets deep. Costco prepared as best they could and remained standing during these difficult times haha 

it’s a shame really but we are expendable for the economy I suppose. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 1/14/2022 at 9:06 AM, lemniscate said:

I don't normally buy any prepared entrees at Costco, except the rotisserie chicken.

They were demo-ing these lamb shanks and I made the mistake of going Costco shopping hungry.  Lamb is not high on my protein list, but the Household holds it in high regard.   My sample was superb.  I submitted to the siren call.

These are very good, lots of meat on the shanks, in our usage = 2 people 1 shank is a good meal.  The sauce is great, there are the tiny fig seeds in it.   Not cheap, ~$24 per lb.; each shank is pre-bagged so could be reheated sous vide.  I used microwave method and it was very good.   Any leftover sauce I'm saving for use in other dishes.  Bones will go for a stock.

Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 7.04.48 AM.png

Not available at my Costco, sad to say.  We love lamb shanks.

Another run to Costco to get milk, butter, cheese, veg, eggs....staples.   There's a "hot buy" on pork shoulder that I brought, I picked one of the smaller packages, but its still 13ish lbs of meat.   I will do the Chefsteps pork shoulder 24 hour version and portion for the freezer this weekend.  

I did have 1 impulse buy.  I have a 'meh' relationship with pancakes.  I never order them at restaurants.  Making them at home is useless because more batter is made than desire for pancakes in our house.  Crepes are a different matter and there's a couple great creperies not too far away to scratch that itch.

However, I found these La Marie Patissier (origin France) mini pancakes, pre-packaged.  Each small package has 2 soft and slightly sweet pancakes, maybe 3".  So far I just ate them right out of the package, but I'm sure heating them is no issues.  I think $9USD for 25 packs of 2 at my Costco.

1566628837_ScreenShot2022-01-27at3_37_06PM.thumb.png.586154b03f3a3827de77205a7854acd0.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

Another run to Costco to get milk, butter, cheese, veg, eggs....staples.   There's a "hot buy" on pork shoulder that I brought, I picked one of the smaller packages, but its still 13ish lbs of meat.   I will do the Chefsteps pork shoulder 24 hour version and portion for the freezer this weekend.  

I did have 1 impulse buy.  I have a 'meh' relationship with pancakes.  I never order them at restaurants.  Making them at home is useless because more batter is made than desire for pancakes in our house.  Crepes are a different matter and there's a couple great creperies not too far away to scratch that itch.

However, I found these La Marie Patissier (origin France) mini pancakes, pre-packaged.  Each small package has 2 soft and slightly sweet pancakes, maybe 3".  So far I just ate them right out of the package, but I'm sure heating them is no issues.  I think $9USD for 25 packs of 2 at my Costco.

1566628837_ScreenShot2022-01-27at3_37_06PM.thumb.png.586154b03f3a3827de77205a7854acd0.png

Thanks for this.  My Costco is not likely to have this but I'm going to look for it.

Edited by ElsieD
Fixed a typo (log)

Are the prepped proteins at Costco regional rather than national? I don't recognize that lamb shank purveyor.  My Costco in PA has had 2 types of lamb shanks, both very tasty.  Here they're all branded Ruprecht's... the most often available is the mint/rosemary...  every so often they did a moroccan spiced version too... though I kinda think the mfg regretted doing that since subsequent batches of mint/rosemary had a distinct cumin tinge to them, as if the Moroccan spices sunk into the cooking vessels and wouldn't leave. 

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

15 hours ago, lemniscate said:

I got those pancakes a year or so ago at my Costco. They were tasty, but I didn't use them as quickly as necessary. I took the rest and used them to make a maple-bacon pancake bread pudding. Waste not, want not!

• Like 3

Deb

Liberty, MO

11 minutes ago, Maison Rustique said:

I got those pancakes a year or so ago at my Costco. They were tasty, but I didn't use them as quickly as necessary. I took the rest and used them to make a maple-bacon pancake bread pudding. Waste not, want not!

I was planning to freeze most of the packs for future road trip food or quick snack.  Pancakes freeze well, and I think thawing these would be quick.

I did the same re-use action on leftover doughnuts in bread pudding a while back.  It was excellent and I highly recommend using up stuff that would normally go stale and get tossed in this type of dish.

Edited by lemniscate (log)
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I tried my first "salad kit" from Costco.  Creamy Dill Pickle Chopped Kit .  Chopped cabbage, kale, leaf lettuce and cauliflower with the dill pickle centric dressing, croutons, and seasoning.   Feta cheese to round out.  Lots of plastic bags with each layer in it.   Dill pickles are very popular here in the house, so this was a pretty big satisfying veg portion.  

I'm stealing the idea and made a dill pickle forward ranch knockoff, and will get leaf lettuce, cabbage, cauliflower, NOT kale, probably look for beet greens, pea shoots, or something similar to sub.  And some good strong feta.  I'm adding pepperoncini to the mix too.  I think crispy onions would be good instead of croutons.   

But it's a good kit if you need a quick salad side or main.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

New hot prepared chicken offering from Costco, I just noticed it today.  Garlic pepper drumsticks.  About 10-12 per package.  Everyone in the house said thumbs up on flavor and nicely sized drumsticks.   I bought 2 trays of them.IMG_0774.thumb.jpg.976260756a87d786a0ec3b806ae7d3a1.jpg

IMG_0775.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

NO eggs of any kind in my normal Costco today.   Employee said they sold out of all eggs yesterday.   I texted a friend on the extreme other side of Valley and she reported same, also stated Sam's Club had no eggs.

I found eggs easily at Trader Joe's, normal large $2.99 doz.

Not sure what's going on with the local Warehouse clubs around here this week.   

• Confused 1

On 2/7/2022 at 7:11 PM, lemniscate said:

NOT kale

A couple of family members recommended a very similar dill pickle salad kit from my local supermarket. I pointed out that it contained kale and I hated kale.
You won’t notice the kale, they said. And I fell for it. They were so, so wrong. All I noticed in every single mouthful was that bloody kale, which will not break down no matter how long you chew. Ewwwwww. 

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog