• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Costco

Toliver

On 10/20/2019 at 1:52 PM, MelissaH said:

But as I remember, Costco doesn't even let you in the door without a membership card, so I have no way to check it out and see how what it carries meshes with our current needs.

Which begs the question: Do those of you who are members ever get lure-a-friend deals? I'd still like to check it out, maybe try one of the famous rotisserie chickens, and see what all the fuss is.

Costco will let you in to look around and they’ll let you take as much time as you want ... We have a Costco here in our town and I wasn’t sure if I wanted to join / what all the fuss was about because I’d never been in one so I just went up to the door and told them - “Is it alright if I just go in and look around? I’m not sure - I might buy a membership ... “ ... They said, “Sure! Take as much time as you need ... “ ... So I did - didn’t buy one -

Costco is not for me ... I will use the pharmacy on occasion and it’s never any problem - just tell them at the door “m going to the pharmacy ... they are all very friendly and helpful - never an issue.   

• Like 2

I have an EpiPen ... my friend gave it to me when he was dying ... it seemed very important to him that I have it ... 

We've been members since 1994 (when it was Price Club around here) and never have thought about letting our membership lapse. I am in a large suburban area with 2 Costcos close by, and more in my normal circuit of driving. The cost savings on gasoline really adds up. Although it is just my DW and myself I shop there almost every week - I do 99% of the grocery shopping. They have Boudin's San Francisco Sourdough bread for my Sweetie, and Milton's Multigrain for me. I get eggs, butter and cheese there. Dishwasher detergent and Reynolds foil prices beat anywhere else I can easily shop. I don't buy produce there because we can't go through it fast enough. I take 800 mg doses of ibuprofen (under a doctor's care). Instead of messing around with yet another prescription  I just buy the house-brand ibuprofen. It the same per-dose cost as getting a prescription. Before I retired from doing renaissance faires I spent around $3,000/year for feast food there. That added another $60.00 to my 2% rebate.

My DW and I have, sadly, an array of health issues and we use the Costco pharmacy at the one near my DW's work. I don't have to tell them my name because I'm there so often. I just have to tell them if I'm picking up for me, for my DW or both.

It's not for everybody, but membership is a benefit to me.

Now I'll give you a small laugh. I shop at the 2 closest Costcos so much I have favorite cashiers. One particular cashier greets me by name, another asks about how my DW is doing. When P was gone for a while I inquired and found out he was out on medical. When he returned I made a point of going over and telling him I was glad he was back.

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

There is much to be said for clerks who know you and whom you know. The clerk at the drive-up window at my preferred liquor store just hands me my usual wine. I, in turn, hand her the exact change.

I guess that could be seen as kinda sad.

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 3 months later...

"Costco to Ban Non-Members From Food Court Starting Next Month"

Those who don’t have a Costco membership will soon no longer be able to frequent the food court for cheap hot dogs and pizza, according to KTLA sister KRON in San Francisco.

That’s because starting in March, the warehouse chain will require visitors to have an active membership to make food court purchases, according to a Costco spokesperson.

Being a member, I never realized non-members could buy food from the Food Courts. 

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

15 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

Yes you can use the pharmacy  as well as the liquor store  adjacent to the main entrance without being a member

Our liquor department is in back of the store and is a part of the store--not separate. Probably varies according to state laws.

• Like 1

Deb

Liberty, MO

• 3 months later...

i am a little ticked off.

I'd like to know the name of the child that has been put in charge of the Costco food courts. 

First, the Polish Dog was removed from the menu.

Then they added that fake meat salad.

The Pulled BBQ Pork sandwich with Cole Slaw on top was yanked (no pun intended).

And now, you can only order either a cheese pizza or a pepperoni pizza. They completely removed the Combo pizza which had sausage and veggies on it. >:(

The dumbing down of the menu is ridiculous. What's next? Adding chocolate milk and animal crackers to the menu?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Tim Oliver

34 minutes ago, Toliver said:

I'd like to know the name of the child that has been put in charge of the Costco food courts. 

The Pulled BBQ Pork sandwich with Cole Slaw on top was yanked (no pun intended).

And now, you can only order either a cheese pizza or a pepperoni pizza. They completely removed the Combo pizza which had sausage and veggies on it. >:(

The dumbing down of the menu is ridiculous. What's next? Adding chocolate milk and animal crackers to the menu?

Based on the fact that my daughter is the one always wanting to get food from the food court...  Sounds like a wise move to me!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toliver said:

The only thing you can get here is pizza, fries and a soft drink.  They removed the turkey/provolone sandwich, the chicken wings, the salad and the ice cream.  

• Sad 1

I am not a  member and have never been there but maybe due to meat shortages?

Edited to say--we are having shortages here in Kansas.....so it would make sense that you are too....

Edited by Shelby (log)

25 minutes ago, MokaPot said:

@Kim Shook recently posted a photo of an ice cream cone that she got from her Costco. IMO, these food court items are / were their loss leaders and they're cutting back.

The pictures are still up, crossed out with unavailable written across them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

The pictures are still up, crossed out with unavailable written across them.

It wasn't purchased at Costco - I wasn't clear.  It was purchased at a convenience strore while running errands that included a Costco run.  

It is odd that you see the photo as crossed out.  I am seeing it just fine.  Is anyone else having the same issue as ElsieD seeing the photo?

34 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

It wasn't purchased at Costco - I wasn't clear.  It was purchased at a convenience strore while running errands that included a Costco run.  

It is odd that you see the photo as crossed out.  I am seeing it just fine.  Is anyone else having the same issue as ElsieD seeing the photo?

I think @ElsieD was joking, since we were talking about Costco items that are no longer "available." 😛

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Costco has stopped selling the half-sheet cakes ($20 USD). I'm changing my opinion on why Costco also stopped selling the combo pizza. Those sheet cakes and pizzas were staples at office parties and other kinds of get-togethers. The demand was less.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 months later...

"Costco Is Once Again Selling Chicken Bakes At Their In-Store Food Courts And Fans Are So Pumped"

The chicken bake is a handheld food that is stuffed with chicken, cheese, bacon, and caesar dressing. The item was spotted back on a food court menu by @Costcoguy4u at an Illinois-based location. According to @Costcoguy4u, the new chicken bakes have a new taste compared to the ones available prior to the pandemic.

"They were different than the older version but good...I found them a bit saltier with a different crust. When we asked the cashier they said they are premade now," he wrote in an Instagram post.

What a coincidence...Costco now sells the Chicken Bakes in their freezer/refrigerated section. ¬¬

So the reason why the Combo Pizza & Combo slice disappeared from the Food Courts was to simplify and "expedite" their post-COVID19 menu.

Yeah, right. 

Tim Oliver

17 minutes ago, Toliver said:

What a coincidence...Costco now sells the Chicken Bakes in their freezer/refrigerated section.

Out here outside of Sacramento we have been able to buy the frozen Chicken Bakes for at least 15 years, we've been in this house around that long and I have never cooked one here. I remember having them often in our last place as we were far from civilization and they were one of those "stock up in case we get desperate" kind of things.

Edited by Yiannos (log)
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Costco has stopped selling BelGioioso "fresh" mozzarella cheese (two logs, pre-sliced). Costco now sells Kirkland brand "fresh" mozzarella cheese. The look of the cheese & the packaging (two logs, pre-sliced) was so similar to BelGioioso's product that I thought maybe Costco had contracted with BG to produce the cheese & slap a Kirkland label on it.

However ... the Kirkland product was not that good. Bland, no flavor, texture not great. Yes, I realize this is supposed to be a mild, milky cheese. Also, the slices were thinner than BG's slices. I like to bite into a thicker slice, like the BG slices.

Will not buy Kirkland fresh mozzarella again.

IMO, if Costco wants to start selling Kirkland everything, it should be as good or an improvement over the displaced product.

• Like 1

Canadian Costco customers might find some value in this blog. 

• Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog