• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for a specific box to display my chocolates

Tiffany B

Hi everybody!

I currently sell my chocolates in a beautiful box from Papermart. 

My ideal box is the one that Susanna Yoon uses from Stick with me Sweets. I love it and since my bonbons are all  the same shape and size it would be ideal.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Attached is a picture of the box.

Thanks in advance. 

Screen Shot 2019-10-10 at 9.46.17 AM.png

• Like 1

Kerry is right...that is a custom made box...look for a company that does "thermoforming" or "vacuumforming".

You need to make a positive mold first (usually CNC milled from plastic, wood or aluminum)....that's the largest upfront cost.

After that you need to make rather large quantities ....then the price is not too bad though...probably at least several thousand pieces to make it worth it

• Like 1

I went through this process and searched far and wide for manufacturers that would sell small quantities of custom boxes. There is one that would make them, but (it turned out) not very well, so I would not recommend them. Later, however, I found Brimar Packaging in Ohio, which will sell 500 boxes. You will, of course, pay considerably more for that quantity, and (to torture the customer, I assume) they always provide the pricing for 1,000 boxes as well. But their work is excellent, and their website provides images of their products. They can include inserts but might require larger quantities for that.  I get just my boxes from them. Thermoforming is incredibly expensive (the cost has given me a whole new appreciation for those clamshells in grocery stores that hold salad greens). As was mentioned earlier, the most costly part of that is the aluminum mold that must be made first. My recommendation for those beginning the business is to find the most beautiful stock box you can find (US Box has some very nice sets--box plus insert), but this works only if your chocolates are all approximately the same size--and a small size (about an inch, or 1.25" at the most--and their height must also be considered). Alas, in the beginning, I acquired many molds with larger cavities that have caused me great trouble and expense in finding packaging that will work.

• Like 3

On 10/12/2019 at 11:42 AM, Jim D. said:

I went through this process and searched far and wide for manufacturers that would sell small quantities of custom boxes. There is one that would make them, but (it turned out) not very well, so I would not recommend them. Later, however, I found Brimar Packaging in Ohio, which will sell 500 boxes. You will, of course, pay considerably more for that quantity, and (to torture the customer, I assume) they always provide the pricing for 1,000 boxes as well. But their work is excellent, and their website provides images of their products. They can include inserts but might require larger quantities for that.  I get just my boxes from them. Thermoforming is incredibly expensive (the cost has given me a whole new appreciation for those clamshells in grocery stores that hold salad greens). As was mentioned earlier, the most costly part of that is the aluminum mold that must be made first. My recommendation for those beginning the business is to find the most beautiful stock box you can find (US Box has some very nice sets--box plus insert), but this works only if your chocolates are all approximately the same size--and a small size (about an inch, or 1.25" at the most--and their height must also be considered). Alas, in the beginning, I acquired many molds with larger cavities that have caused me great trouble and expense in finding packaging that will work.

Thanks so much for the information. Right now I am using boxes from Papermart which makes the bonbons look really elegant and pop. I guess I will wait until my business grows to start going the custom route. 

3 hours ago, Chocoguyin Pemby said:

Tiffany thanks for asking this question - Is there a Canadian source for boxes anyone can recommend??  I found a US source but would prefer to find a Canadian one.   Here is what I have found - https://www.aspecialtybox.com/

Chocolat-chocolat has some swanky boxes

Edited by pastrygirl (log)

I am going to be selling some confections at a local xmas market and am looking for some packaging suggestions - I was looking at the celo bags on chocolat-chocolat and wondering what size people have had success with in the past.  I am looking at selling chocolate bark, mixed nut brittle and english toffee in a bag for $5 price point  - any suggestions appreciated.  The sizes I am looking at are roughly 4"x8" or 5"x10" or 5"x12".  TIA

46 minutes ago, Chocoguyin Pemby said:

I am going to be selling some confections at a local xmas market and am looking for some packaging suggestions - I was looking at the celo bags on chocolat-chocolat and wondering what size people have had success with in the past.  I am looking at selling chocolate bark, mixed nut brittle and english toffee in a bag for $5 price point  - any suggestions appreciated.  

$5?  That’s going to be a very small bag!  $5 an ounce, maybe ... Suggestion #1, charge more!  Unless they require $5 items, charge at least $10. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

$5?  That’s going to be a very small bag!  $5 an ounce, maybe ... Suggestion #1, charge more!  Unless they require $5 items, charge at least $10. 

They suggest a $5 price point - I agree $10 is a better price point - I will do both - I will be selling bonbons as well for $10 and $20.  Thanks for your input:)

• Like 1

@Tiffany B  ASpecialtyBox has some boxes/inserts that are pretty similar to what you've got there. Not the actual pattern, but the style is quite close from what I can tell.

FWIW, their rigid boxes are top notch, and the price reflects it.  Sometimes though, items do go on sale.  (They kill me on shipping, but I still order my premium corporate gift packaging from them.)

Edited by ChocoMom
sp (log)
  • Like 1

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

5 hours ago, ChocoMom said:

@Tiffany B  ASpecialtyBox has some boxes/inserts that are pretty similar to what you've got there. Not the actual pattern, but the style is quite close from what I can tell.

FWIW, their rigid boxes are top notch, and the price reflects it.  Sometimes though, items do go on sale.  (They kill me on shipping, but I still order my premium corporate gift packaging from them.)

And A Specialty Box does have a custom division if it hasn’t been mentioned.

• Like 2

On 10/15/2019 at 1:03 AM, ChocoMom said:

Yes they are! I ordered some samples but they were too big/small for my bonbons :(