• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vegan friendly, but NOT ALL VEGAN dinner spot for a group.

RealGracePiper

My guy is diabetic, so low carb, so needs meat at dinner. He's getting together with a group of peers and one of them is vegan. 

Any thoughts on a spot that would be conducive to conversation? Not too pricy Please only answer if you know what vegans can and can't eat. 

I'd love it if a vegan chimed in.  Thank you! 

You'll need to tell us where you are hoping to find this restaurant.

In Hamilton, Ontario we had a restaurant called the Vegan and the Butcher - it did have the best of both - but sadly it closed. 

Ah wait - I see you have posted this in NY:dining - perhaps some of the NY folks will have a better idea.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Well I asked in the NYC section, but I totally screwed up with my question! Thanks for pointing it out! Manhattan  midtown and below only. Thanks again Kerry. I *was *really unclear. :)  I hope I get suggestions.

33 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

You'll need to tell us where you are hoping to find this restaurant.

In Hamilton, Ontario we had a restaurant called the Vegan and the Butcher - it did have the best of both - but sadly it closed. 

Ah wait - I see you have posted this in NY:dining - perhaps some of the NY folks will have a better idea.

I'm not a vegan and, when I was younger, I was a very meat and potatoes guy. 

But a friend introduced me to  Buddhist cuisine of ancient China where they would use tofu to create an imitation meat that has the look, texture, and taste of meat.  

I think Chef's Table did an episode on Buddhist cuisine. 

The dish and cuisine I had was so successful in its taste that I never imagined I'd eat only non-meat for an entire meal. 

I would go back and order it occasionally to the Buddhist restaurant. This was in California though. 

I think they have similar places here in NYC. 

I found this one Buddhist restaurant on google with over 900 reviews (very positive). They appear to serve both meat and vegan dishes. 

http://www.buddha-bodai.com/menuUpdate.html

Edited by eugenep (log)

48 minutes ago, eugenep said:

But a friend introduced me to  Buddhist cuisine of ancient China where they would use tofu to create an imitation meat that has the look, texture, and taste of meat.  

I found this one Buddhist restaurant on google with over 900 reviews (very positive). They appear to serve both meat and vegan dishes. 

http://www.buddha-bodai.com/menuUpdate.html

I am pretty sure that if you‘ll ever find a buddhist restaurant that served meat, it ain‘t buddhist ...

• Like 2

While I'm a little hesitant to recommend this, just because I love it and there can already be a wait for a table, I'd look into Cafe Mogador in the East Village - St. Marks between 1st and Ave A.  They are known for their Moroccan specialties - I'm addicted to their lamb tagine with couscous - I'm particularly fond of the charmoulla, but my wife always gets the saffron sauce... they have lots of mezze like hummus, an awesome smoky baba ghanoush, tabouli, etc which I'd imagine are vegan, though I'm not really sure since I've never asked.  They also have non-Moroccan stuff duck confit, hanger steak, etc. for those who don't want Moroccan... I've brought tons of people here and everyone has always loved it.  They've been around forever and have always been busy.

Another option not far from there would be Somtom Der... their fried chicken thigh is amazing, but they're also known for their papaya salads (hence the name).  I imagine they'd be able to make things without the dried shrimp or fish sauce - many thai places run by Thai people (as is Somtom Der) should have no problem making certain dishes vegan, like @eugenep said.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Duvel said:

I am pretty sure that if you‘ll ever find a buddhist restaurant that served meat, it ain‘t buddhist ...

Why not? Not all Buddhists are vegetarian. The Dalai Lama isn't. It would be difficult to survive in Tibet on a vegetarian diet.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

4 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Why not? Not all Buddhists are vegetarian. The Dalai Lama isn't. It would be difficult to survive in Tibet on a vegetarian diet.

I have visited many Buddhist restaurants all over Asia and have never encountered any meat on the menu. The Dalai Lama not being strictly vegetarian is a popular argument, but I can only partly agree: while some buddhists do consume meat when offered (just as the Dalai Lama), certainly none would specifically order or eat it at a "free to choose" restaurant with vegetarian options, as it would implicate a deliberate choice for another being to be killed for one`s own consumption ...

1 minute ago, Duvel said:

The Dalai Lama not being strictly vegetarian is a popular argument

I'm not sure how much of an argument it is - he clearly states so in his autobiography. He doesn't only take it when offered. He seeks it. Also, I know several self-professed Buddhists who are not vegetarian. Including monks.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I'm not sure how much of an argument it is - he clearly states so in his autobiography. He doesn't only take it when offered. He seeks it. Also, I know several self-professed Buddhists who are not vegetarian. Including monks.

Well noted. My point is that even there are Buddhists that would consume meat at points, Buddhist restaurants do not offer a meat choice. The latter they need to seek out separately ...

27 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Buddhist restaurants do not offer a meat choice.

But Buddhist restaurants in China are not particularly aimed at Buddhists. It's marketing!  Most are aimed at tourists who find it all very interesting, then go home and eat meat! And vegetables cooked in pig fat.

• Like 1

OP- I think your vegan friend is going to figure something out where ever you go.  If your man needs meat, picking a vegan spot is not going to work... everywhere does vegetables in some format... 

If the meat requirement were not there, but good and interesting veg food was the thing, maybe someplace Indian like Saravanas in Curry Hill,  or Korean formal vegetarian food like at Hangawi... but you're not going to   hit both "must serve meat" and "good for vegans" at either of those simultaneously.

• Like 1

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

On 10/9/2019 at 8:58 PM, RealGracePiper said:

My guy is diabetic, so low carb, so needs meat at dinner. He's getting together with a group of peers and one of them is vegan. 

Any thoughts on a spot that would be conducive to conversation? Not too pricy Please only answer if you know what vegans can and can't eat. 

I'd love it if a vegan chimed in.  Thank you! 

Well I asked in the NYC section, but I totally screwed up with my question! Thanks for pointing it out! Manhattan  midtown and below only. Thanks again Kerry. I *was *really unclear. :)  I hope I get suggestions.

Are vegans somehow restricted from uptown? Are non-vegans allowed to answer the op?

But seriously, folks...I can't believe no one is gluten free in this dining group?! 

And he who needs "meat?' Does he include proteins like chicken? Duck? Rabbit? Pig? Pigeon? Cuy? Shrimp? Or must it be steak? 

And what's your definition of midtown and below? Like what street delineates midtown? Conversation - in NYC?! Not too pricey - in NYC?!

If you're not a troll, go to an Italian restaurant like Pasquale Jones or Lupa.  Meat man gets meat.  Vegan orders pasta with tomatoes or with garlic and oil and some sautéed broccoli raab on the side. Maybe a salad?  Vegan tells wait person to make sure his order is veganized.  Everyone is happy.

Well...as happy as they can be in this scenario.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

• 10 months later...

One vegan in a group should be no problem.    Our son seemed to date a series of vegan young women and to a person they were able to find a full meal at our table.   And we traveled inj France with a vegan who was able at every restaurant to order and consume a suitable meal.    Serious vegans are resillient; those less so are probably beginners and will learn.

eGullet member #80.