• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thanksgiving 2019

kayb

Something new at our Thanksgiving dinner this year:  "Patti's Good Life by Patti LaBelle Sweet Potato Pie" (click)

I thought it was quite good. Yes, it has a ton of sugar in it but it's a dessert, afterall. The spices are quite pronounced (as if they doubled the spices used in a regular pumpkin pie). My sister-in-law, who gets heart burn at the drop of a cup of coffee ;) wouldn't be able to eat it, the spices are so strong. More for me! xD

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I realized that in describing the weirdness that was our experience at my MIL's Thanksgiving, I neglected to say how nice my Thanksgiving lunch with my mom was.  I ended up ordering a meal from a place we go to a lot.  They specialize in Greek/Italian and the Thanksgiving meal was just ok, but my mom loved it and appreciated every bite.  I lied through my teeth and told her I cooked it (I somehow knew that would be important to her).  We shared turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, green beans, dressing, cranberry sauce, gravy, and fabulous yeast rolls.  She was calm and stable and happy and it was a lovely time for us to have together.  So it was the perfect Kim family day - a lunch time convoluted and confused conversation with my mother with dementia, a weird and uncomfortable time with my MIL and hilarious shenanigans with the whackaloon I married and the one I gave birth to.  😁❤️😄

• Like 7
  • Haha 2