• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

chromedome

chromedome

We did ours yesterday, rather than today (which is, technically, the actual holiday). Pretty conventional, for the most part.

Final menu consisted of the bird and stuffing, 6 cups of gravy (plus stock left over for soup or whatever), mashed potatoes, rough-mashed carrot and turnip (actually rutabaga), a baked buttercup squash, sweet potatoes glazed with maple syrup, cabbage gratin, steamed broccoli and cauliflower, Brussels sprouts pan-seared with bacon and caramelized onions, and the green bean casserole (my GF's family spent a year or two in Long Island back in the late 80s/early 90s and acquired a taste for it there).

Desserts consisted of a board with a few cheeses, some dried fruit and candied pecans; an apple pie; and (by request) a pumpkin cheesecake. I did the cheesecake on a gingersnap crust (my GF hadn't had that before), then glazed it with a bit of Robertson's ginger marmalade and garnished it with more of the candied pecans.

The dried apples and apple pie both were made with apples we'd picked on our (third) annual trip to the U-Pick with the granddaughter, who is now 4, and I made a point of telling her so. She lit right up, as you'd imagine, and proceeded to demolish a considerable wedge of the pie and a large handful of the dried apples. I'm sure she ate more apples yesterday than she'd actually helped pick, but that's not the point. :)

chromedome

chromedome

We did ours yesterday, rather than today (which is, technically, the actual holiday). Pretty conventional, for the most part.

Final menu consisted of the bird and stuffing, 6 litres of gravy (plus stock left over for soup or whatever), mashed potatoes, rough-mashed carrot and turnip (actually rutabaga), a baked buttercup squash, sweet potatoes glazed with maple syrup, cabbage gratin, steamed broccoli and cauliflower, Brussels sprouts pan-seared with bacon and caramelized onions, and the green bean casserole (my GF's family spent a year or two in Long Island back in the late 80s/early 90s and acquired a taste for it there).

Desserts consisted of a board with a few cheeses, some dried fruit and candied pecans; an apple pie; and (by request) a pumpkin cheesecake. I did the cheesecake on a gingersnap crust (my GF hadn't had that before), then glazed it with a bit of Robertson's ginger marmalade and garnished it with more of the candied pecans.

The dried apples and apple pie both were made with apples we'd picked on our (third) annual trip to the U-Pick with the granddaughter, who is now 4, and I made a point of telling her so. She lit right up, as you'd imagine, and proceeded to demolish a considerable wedge of the pie and a large handful of the dried apples. I'm sure she ate more apples yesterday than she'd actually helped pick, but that's not the point. :)