• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ecuador During a State of Emergency - Surfing the Shortages

No word @Panaderia Canadiense?  Please don't let us be worried if you can help it.

I was describing my bread disaster to a Bolivian friend this afternoon.  She told me this week's The Economist had an article about a friend of hers who began the street barricades in Bolivia.  She added more somberly that a schoolmate of hers was killed in the demonstrations.  According to The Economist article, in Bolivia garbage trucks and food deliveries are being allowed through but nothing else.  I can't find any current news of the situation in Ecuador.

My friend added that her parents have been told not to turn their lights on at night.  Her family is no stranger to such events.  Her grandfather was imprisoned twice.  Once as a prisoner of war in Paraguay and then as a political prisoner in Bolivia.  Georges Remi wrote about these events in his graphic novel The Broken Ear, in which his protagonist Tintin was saved from the firing squad only by ethanol.  Ethanol solves a multitude of problems.

And I wonder how much courage I could summon if I were called on.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I've been concerned as well. Hearing a report on the Bolivian problems today on NPR brought it to front of mind. I wonder if internet services there might be disrupted?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

No word from Ecuador?

Meanwhile my Bolivian friend reports her sister's neighborhood is surrounded and no one is permitted in or out.  Her parents are OK.

• Sad 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

In the past she's had to lay low because being active online would have drawn unwelcome scrutiny ("the nail that sticks out gets hammered," and all that). I expect, under the circumstances, it's probably one of those moments.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Those were my thoughts exactly.  I like to think that she can at least read about our concerns for her and know she has a team of supporters eagerly awaiting her return!   For sure, she is missed by us all.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, IowaDee said:

Those were my thoughts exactly.  I like to think that she can at least read about our concerns for her and know she has a team of supporters eagerly awaiting her return!   For sure, she is missed by us all.

Count me in that group, too.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I had forgotten that "lay low" aspect of @Panaderia Canadiense's position. Thanks for the reminder. If she's reading, she's going to see a whole lot of hopes for the best for her - including mine.

• Like 6

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

It's also quite possible that authorities have simply shut down the internet in the affected areas, now that I think about it.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

A backgrounder, for those who want some context (bear in mind that one of the experts who's quoted extensively may have some axes to grind, as a cabinet minister in the previous administration).

https://www.eurasiareview.com/13112019-reasons-for-ecuador-unrest-lie-much-deeper-than-fuel-subsidies-abolition-analysis/

ETA: ...and another.

https://www.hrw.org/world-report/2019/country-chapters/ecuador

Edited by chromedome (log)
  • Thanks 2

Speaking as a host, I think the best thing we can do to stay true to the original intent of this foodblog (documenting the acquisition and sharing of food during a time of short supply and stress) is to simply...wait...and stop with the political speculation. It's difficult, I know. We're all worried about her. But even with the more relaxed rules that apply to food blogs, this has strayed far from food.

• Like 5

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown