• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense

Realized I could answer other questions; it's neater this way.

It does look like we're going to be calm right up until DÍa de los Difuntos - the largest workers' union has a national strike called for 30 October.  However, on the upside, it won't interfere with the 5th annual International Festival and Competition of Guaguas de Pan, which I'm part of again this year.  Last year (my first entry) I placed Bronze in a field of 50 bakeries, and I'm hoping that I can hit Silver or Gold this year.

On 10/14/2019 at 1:40 PM, Nancy in Pátzcuaro said:

Well, at least it's a start. Ideally everyone will negotiate in good faith and perhaps a problem that has existed since the Spanish arrived can at least start to be resolved. Or is that too much to ask right now, given that there are centuries of mistrust and abuse to overcome?

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

Ummm... It's complicated.  The truce is shaky to begin with, and there's no way that the government is going to be able to address hundreds of years of human rights abuses in one set of negotiations.  It will hopefully be a start, but the way that the government is trying to cover up the human rights issues even during the uprising (which are serious enough to have prompted the ICC to send investigators for crimes against humanity) isn't a very promising opening move.  Everybody is following the situation very closely, and I find myself happy that I've got stock laid in because I truly don't see it remaining peaceful until New Year's.

Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense

Realized I could answer other questions; it's neater this way.

It does look like we're going to be calm right up until DÍa de los Difuntos - the largest workers' union has a national strike called for 30 October.  However, on the upside, it won't interfere with the 5th annual International Festival and Competition of Guaguas de Pan, which I'm part of again this year.  Last year (my first entry) I placed Bronze in a field of 50 bakeries, and I'm hoping that I can hit Silver or Gold this year.

On 10/14/2019 at 1:40 PM, Nancy in Pátzcuaro said:

Well, at least it's a start. Ideally everyone will negotiate in good faith and perhaps a problem that has existed since the Spanish arrived can at least start to be resolved. Or is that too much to ask right now, given that there are centuries of mistrust and abuse to overcome?

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

Panaderia Canadiense

Panaderia Canadiense