• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

substituting frozen for fresh cranberries

sabg

need quick help....found a great recipe for a cranberry cream cheese french toast bread pudding that i would like to make today and no-one has fresh...im afraid frozen maybe too wet ....any thoughts ? thank you

many baking books call for frozen berries instead of fresh 

I think it's because the freezing and defrosting has destroyed the inside cell walls of the berries so it's easier to turn to mush than fresh berries 

...like freezing creates ice crystals out of the water in the fruit 

which then punctures the cell walls like knives 

and now easier to turn to mush once defrosted 

*** I'm not sure what your recipe is but if you are mixing and blending the cranberries into the cream cheese, the frozen might be better since the insides of the berries should be easier to break down

Edited by eugenep (log)

I have NEVER in my life been able to find frozen cranberries.  I have a fair number of recipes that call for cranberries and the recipes always say, "Fresh or frozen".  Since I can't find them frozen, but want to be able to make the recipes all during the year, I have an annually repeating reminder on my December calendar to "Buy 4 bags of cranberries".  🙄

• Like 2
  • Haha 3