• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

typo

18 hours ago, Anna N said:

Not really surprising since as I understand it the name simply means the best spices that the merchant has to offer.  So there are likely as many combinations as there are people who can combine them.  Much like garam masala, no two are alike. 

Indeed, and the same vendor's offering this week may be different from next week's. The best I've had was some my sister brought back from Algeria years ago after she mistakenly married another husband. She had certain problems getting it through UK customs.The staff confused it with another popular Moroccan product.

liuzhou

liuzhou

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Not really surprising since as I understand it the name simply means the best spices that the merchant has to offer.  So there are likely as many combinations as there are people who can combine them.  Much like garam masala, no two are alike. 

Indeed, and the same vendor's offering this week may be different from next week's. The best I've had was some my sister brought back from Algeria years ago after she mistakenly married another husband. She had certain problems getting it through UK customs.The staff confused it with another popular Morrocan product.