• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

RIP Lisa Shock

Dave the Cook

Sadly, we must report that long-time member (she joined in 2005) and Society donor Lisa Shock has died. A few of us had been wondering about her, not having seen her post since December, 2018. Recently, one of our members came across an announcement regarding her: https://www.alcor.org/blog/2019/01/. (I'll let the notifier out themselves, if they wish; in any case, thank you.)

Lisa posted on a wide variety of topics; her curious intellect and eagerness to assist were easily discerned. Her competence, intelligence and integrity were constantly at the fore in the few interactions I personally had with her.

I will miss her, as I imagine many here will. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 22

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I've missed Lisa's voice since the holidays, and I'm sorry I won't be seeing her here again. She was clearly and patently a teacher: happy to answer questions and provide clear instruction. I learned a lot about knife skills from her, and a new and unusual technique for making hash over a campfire. I'm thankful for her presence and years here.

Edited by Smithy
Word change: from "usual" to "new and unusual". Slip of the fingers. (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Lisa's posts always taught you something, she shared her knowledge freely and she was a born teacher.  I saw that notice some months ago but didn't want to believe it was "our" Lisa so I put it out of my mind; I have been missing her thoughtful and insightful posts.  😥

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Dave for the link to her posts to remind us. We never know what will happen so appreciating in the present is, in my opinion,  the best avenue. Even the moat annoying folks have stellar moments. Not a commentary on Lisa but in general.  Keep your treasured ones close and appreciate.

Edited by heidih
clearly my spelling lacks (log)
  • Like 3

So very sorry to read this.  I wondered why I hadn't seen any comments or posts from her.  I remembered that she had a procedure around Christmas.

However I haven't been here as much as I used to because I am limited to the amount of time I can sit at the computer.  My doctor gets testy if the edema in my lower extremities is too extensive. A combination of heart failure and kidney failure and age.  

We traded some posts in a discussion about biscuits in early December.  

I actually did try some biscuits - my own cream biscuit recipe - with Wensleydale cheese and they turned out quite nice.

I always enjoyed Lisa's posts and contribution to discussions.  She had a great deal of experience and never hesitated to share great advice.

• Like 11

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

@Dave the Cook,

Although this information on Lisa saddens me greatly, I still thank you for letting us all know what happened to our valued member. Like others have said, I always found her to be so experienced and knowledgeable and always willing to help. She'll be missed greatly by a lot of people on this forum.

I asked her just the other day, after being away for a while with no online access, for her granola recipe. Now I know why she did not spring to help as was her usual modus operandi. It was in reaction to a post of hers from November 2018. I replied and asked for her recipe only last Thursday.

Linda seemed always to have boundless energy and a very positive can-do attitude. She made many contributions and had a lot of friends here, so as painful as the news is, we are grateful to know the sadness that she is no longer with us.

:sad:

• Like 3

> ^ . . ^ <

8 hours ago, Shelby said:

Oh man :( I'm so sorry to hear this.

She's still teaching, though.  I had to google to find out more about Alcor.  Very interesting.

You are missed, Lisa!

A rabbit hole down which I went for a number of hours last night. It's a shame that after being so involved with the organization that she didn't get the full benefits. 

• Like 4

I feel like I lost a friend although I have never met her.  It is so sad.  Her posts were always full of info.  May be eGullet community can have more face to face meetings...

• Like 4