• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Alex

Alex

Despite its silly title, I enjoyed this article in today's NYT Magazine by Sam Sifton. I'm now curious to read about eG'ers' use of a carbonated soft drink as an ingredient.

I love a clandestine soda in the preparation of food, a flash of carbonation where the French might use wine or brandy. It may be transgressive to say so, but I’m hardly alone, for all those who cringe at the thought or snort in disgust.

(Here's a fun map of the regional variations in the US of what soft drinks are called.)

Alex

Alex

Despite its silly title, I enjoyed this article in today's NYT Magazine by Sam Sifton. I'm now curious to read about eG'ers' use of a carbonated soft drink as an ingredient.

I love a clandestine soda in the preparation of food, a flash of carbonation where the French might use wine or brandy. It may be transgressive to say so, but I’m hardly alone, for all those who cringe at the thought or snort in disgust.