• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

a simple brown sugar cookie

heidih

I feel compelled to bake today. Bread rising at 5am. Stuck up here so all I have is flour, sugar (white & brown), butter and leavening agents.  A few sweet spices as well. I like my cookies crisp.Any suggestions? Well orange olive oil cake is the fall back but I'd prefer crunch.

A simple good sablé / shortbread would be my choice:

200 g    flour

100 g    butter

80 g       brown sugar

salt

spices

20 g       water

Put flour and butter (really cold and diced) in a food processor. Blitz for few seconds until you have a fine powder, don't overdo.

Add brown sugar, salt (a pinch) and spices (your choice, hard to go wrong). Blitz again for few seconds.

Add water and blitz until you have a dough.

Let it rest in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.

Roll and cut in the desired shapes.

Cook in a pre-heated oven at 340 F.

You get a good crunch with this recipe. If you want it crumblier then use 120 g of butter instead of 100 g.

Dried cranberries pair well with brown sugar and most spices.

Teo

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

Teo

1 hour ago, teonzo said:

A simple good sablé / shortbread would be my choice:

200 g    flour

100 g    butter

80 g       brown sugar

salt

spices

20 g       water

Teo

Sadly I do not have a scale available.. I have our old one with the sliding weights - but it is buried in storage. I did grow up with Euro weight based recipes... Thanks for the framework - I can go from there..