• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

piping bag - can I cut it down?

jedovaty

Hi: I sincerely apologize for the extremely frivolous nature of this topic!!

I purchased a 21" ateco piping bag that is cloth outside and plastic inside a few years back, on recommendation from a store clerk when I was learning to make french macarons.  It's worked well, but way way too big for pretty much everything I've tried to pipe.  I can easily buy a smaller bag (or use ziplocks of course), they are inexpensive at $4-8, and then either keep the 21" or throw it out. But... can I just cut the top down to make it smaller?  I'll lose the logo and stamped button hole for hanging, but who cares?

I just don't like waste, rather reuse what I have...  feels real stupid to post this sorry and not sure why this is so agonizing haha 😐😧

54 minutes ago, jedovaty said:

Hi: I sincerely apologize for the extremely frivolous nature of this topic!!

I purchased a 21" ateco piping bag that is cloth outside and plastic inside a few years back, on recommendation from a store clerk when I was learning to make french macarons.  It's worked well, but way way too big for pretty much everything I've tried to pipe.  I can easily buy a smaller bag (or use ziplocks of course), they are inexpensive at $4-8, and then either keep the 21" or throw it out. But... can I just cut the top down to make it smaller?  I'll lose the logo and stamped button hole for hanging, but who cares?

I just don't like waste, rather reuse what I have...  feels real stupid to post this sorry and not sure why this is so agonizing haha 😐😧

Yes you can - I do it all the time with disposable ones!

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Eh, the only thing that could happen is the top might unravel (because the top of the bag is finished/sewn).  Over time, the cloth bags start to crack after repeated washings and then the plastic flakes .... so depending on how frequently you use the bag it might not be an issue for long ;)

• Like 1

Just now, JeanneCake said:

Eh, the only thing that could happen is the top might unravel (because the top of the bag is finished/sewn).  Over time, the cloth bags start to crack after repeated washings and then the plastic flakes .... so depending on how frequently you use the bag it might not be an issue for long ;)

Never an issue for the disposable bags! I've had a few non woven non disposable bags - never even considered the woven ones. 

Interesting, okay!  I've used the bag a total of 7 or 8 times since purchased in 2016.  Just discovered choux pastry, so I may end up using it more depending just how fun they are to make.  The top is not sewn or hemmed or finished in any way that I can tell.  I'll perform the topbagectomy tomorrow and if there's time, try my first shot at profiteroles and eclairs.  Wish me luck. 🤡

The ones at a bakery I helped at were old Ateco cloth bags; the inside lining was plastic and had started to split in places because it was old but the outside cloth was still in good shape.  I hated them! Disposable bags are the only way to go!  We have them in 12, 18 and 21 inch sizes; although recently at a demo I was able to score some amazing Felchlin disposable pastry bags that are really wonderful; just enough texture on the outside to make them grip-able when you're filling it with buttercream ..... I have to find a way to buy these bags.....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JeanneCake said:

recently at a demo I was able to score some amazing Felchlin disposable pastry bags that are really wonderful; just enough texture on the outside to make them grip-able when you're filling it with buttercream

I had a sample of those, too.  At first I was really excited by the grip-iness but then I found that they also hold onto piping tips really well, making it harder to switch tips and get multiple uses out of the bag.   I use a plastic bowl scraper on the outside of the bags to scrape the contents toward the tip, that also didn't slide as well on the green ones.  But definitely better when you have buttery or sweaty hands!

• Like 2

Hmmm, very true! 

The ones I got were the 21" size so kind of limited for use - at least for me.  Mostly I use them with the big round tip I use to make buttercream dams when building wedding cakes and with those huge speed bag tips for doing crumb coats. And now I'm not going to use them for filling cannoli, based on  your tip about the scraper!

• Like 1

Done!  Makes it so much easier to use.  I see the point of disposables, though, cleaning choux pastry out was quite a PITA.  Also, my first attempt at pastries and choux au craqueline, I can't believe I've never had these before, quite delicious!

pastrybagectomy.jpg

eclairs.jpg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1