• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stone

Smoking Meat

Posted (edited)

BTW, wet wood chips don't start smoking until the water steams off. The white smoke is steam.  It helps keep the meat moist but does not add any flavor until the wood itself starts smoking.  Wrapping wood in foil or putting them in a metal box made for pellet smokers in an excellent way to get optimal smoke flavor as because the wood only smokes, never ignites. Even dried wood gives off un-tasty smoke when it first starts burning. Franklin BBQ, for instance burns the logs outside the smoker until it  has burned  down to charcoal then shovels it in the fire pit.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

So I came home to his first crack. Not too shabby (but as I mentioned - we don't BBQ so who knows if its any good 😂). Delish & Juicy he did pork belly and chicken legs - got bored of lollipops after 4! Cherry & Sheoak - apparently thats important. 

20200630_175703.thumb.jpg.f3a8e522504fd1cba846bddcd1aae34a.jpg

20200630_175637.thumb.jpg.f491e932d4f0fe7e97667a937ad1858d.jpg

20200630_175758.thumb.jpg.7bb1b26f1cbfe3f856bf4c0b7ceb7105.jpg

Looks wonderful!

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

4 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

BTW, wet wood chips don't start smoking until the water steams off. The white smoke is steam.  It helps keep the meat moist but does not add any flavor until the wood itself starts smoking.  Wrapping wood in foil or putting them in a metal box made for pellet smokers in an excellent way to get optimal smoke flavor as because the wood only smokes, never ignites. Even dried wood gives off un-tasty smoke when it first starts burning. Franklin BBQ, for instance burns the logs outside the smoker until it  has burned  down to charcoal then shovels it in the fire pit.

Completely agree.

Wet wood makes acrid smoke/steam which tastes lousy.

That the advice to wet the chips persists is testimony to the lack of observation and thought of some of the experts.  But there's a lot of that in cooking, isn't there?

• Like 1

@gfweb 

"" to wet the chips persists is testimony to the lack of observation and thought of some of the experts ""

a bit like fond in a heavy , and possibly , expensive SS pan ?

sorry  , but not that much :

Chris Schlesinger

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=chris+schlesinger&crid=3DLEPYLTDDX88&sprefix=chris+sch%2Caps%2C142&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_9

made this post in one of his early """"  BBQ """ books

he had one then two restaurants in Somerville , just a block from Cambridge !

East Coast Grill  and Jake and Earls

this was some time ago , well before ''BBQ '' caught on

Jake&Earls was a take out for Ribs etc

in those books , 

and I highly recommend them all

as used 

he pointed out:

grey smoke had lots of particles in it

he ahd a pic

he suggested  that   Hard Wood charcoal

got you to the same tasty place 

w none of the (#^(_#^$_(#^$^#    of the raw wood