• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Desperately Seeking Doohicky

SLB

10 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

I like it, but wouldn't the tomatoes absorb water through their skin and split, like they do in the rain?

I don't think so. Water enters the fruits thru the roots and some from leaves.

dcarch

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dcarch said:

Last night, I took out a large container, filled it with water and put about 20 very ripe tomatoes from my garden, some very big and some very small. I closed the contained with a lid. Then I shook and shook the container the hardest I could. I shook again for about another 5 more times. 

Now, I don't have huge muscles, but in the past few weeks, I have had to relocate and transported a clothes washer and a dishwasher all by myself with no problem. The shaking I did to the tomatoes were more violent than any deep potholes you would run into if you had to ship the tomatoes by car.

Well I am happy to report that there is no damage to any tomatoes, not a scratch, not any sign of cracking or bruising.

But I am not surprised. It's just very simple physics.

I assume that if you have to ship a few hundred eggs over rough roads, the same method will work.

Time for a BLT :B!

dcarch

That's fine, but how much did that container filled with water weigh?

31 minutes ago, KennethT said:

That's fine, but how much did that container filled with water weigh?

My experiment with that container weighted about 25 Lbs.

This method is not practical for some of you who live within walking distance from the farmers market or just buying a small quantity. 

But if you are buying in quantity, a small ice chest and a shopping cart is not that clumsy for heirloom tomatoes which can cost more than T bone steaks . 

dcarch